|
Allor fu la paura un poco queta Che nel lago del cor M'era durata la notte Che passai con tanta pietà Vuolsi cosi colà dove si puote ciò che si vuole Ciò che è scritto nel vento non si può più Cancellare, no - Vuolsi così come l'ingenuità Di un sorriso farcito di si che mi solletica Ma se è già tutto qui Farò festa con te Saprai riconoscermi E poi parlar di me Vuolsi cosi colà dove c'è più di quel che pare C'è una gatta tra le gambe e un topolino da salvare, si - Vuolsi così per chi non sa cos'è Questa voglia di dire di si che mi perseguita Ma se è già tutto qui Farò festa con te Saprai riconoscermi E poi parlar di me In alto vidi le sue spalle Già vestite dei raggi del pianeta che Mena dritto altrui per ogni calle E forse anche davanti a me E Ora vado fuori tempo E non so bene cosa fare per farti capire che ti voglio bene Ma se è già tutto qui Farò festa con te Saprai riconoscermi E poi parlar di me Allor fu la paura un poco queta Che nel lago del cor M'era Durata la notte che passai con tanta ma tanta Ma tanta pietà (Ma se è già tutto qui Farò festa con te Saprai riconoscermi E poi parlare di me Ma se è già tutto qui Farò festa con te Saprai riconoscermi E poi parlare di me Di me) Via Dante © 2005 Marta sui tubi The verses italicized above are from Canto I of the "Inferno" in Dante's Divine Comedy, and the italicized first line of the second verse is from Canto III of the same. The final refrains are sung by singer/actor Bobby Solo. |
Then there was the somewhat quiet fear that in the depths of my heart had lasted through the night that I passed with such anguish. It is willed thus there where one can do what one wants, that which is written in the wind can no more be erased, no – it is willed thus like the naivety of a smile stuffed with yes that solicits me. But if everything is already here, I’ll celebrate with you. You will know how to recognize me and then to talk about me. It is willed thus there where there’s more than it seems, there’s a cat between the legs and a mouse to save, yes – it is willed thus for those who don’t know what it is, this desire to say yes that stalks me. But if everything is already here, I’ll celebrate with you. You will know how to recognize me and then to talk about me. On high I saw its shoulders already dressed in the rays of the planet that leads others straight through every path, and maybe even in front of me. And now I go out of time and I’m not sure what to do to make you understand that I love you. But if everything is already here, I’ll celebrate with you. You will know how to recognize me and then to talk about me. Then there was the somewhat quiet fear that in the depths of my heart had lasted through the night that I passed with such, but so much, so much anguish. (But if everything is already here, I’ll celebrate with you. You will know how to recognize me and then to talk about me. But if everything is already here, I’ll celebrate with you. You will know how to recognize me and then to talk about me, about me.) English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser C'è gente che deve dormire (There Are People Who Should Sleep) was Marta sui tubi's second album, released in 2005 on the Eclectic Circus Records label. Between their first and second album, the band relocated from Bologna to Milan, a city more packed with people and their business pursuits . . . and perhaps with people who should be sleeping and not keeping their neighbors up. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
