|
Non esiste l'amor È soltanto una favola Inventata da te Per burlarti di me Non esiste l'amor È una storia ridicola Ma non ride il mio cuor Me l'hai detto anche tu Che non m'ami già più Non posso pensare Che di un altro tu sei Che i tuoi baci non son più miei Mentre ancor ti vorrei Non esiste l'amor È soltanto una favola Mentre ridi di me Io non amo che te E se piango d'amor Non mi sento ridicolo Sono pazzo, lo so Ma il mio cuor ti darò Finché un palpito avrò Non posso pensare Che di un altro tu sei Che i tuoi baci non son più miei Mentre ancor ti vorrei Non esiste l'amor È soltanto una favola Mentre ridi di me Io non amo che te E se piango d'amor Non mi sento ridicolo Sono pazzo, lo so Ma il mio cuor ti darò Finché un palpito avrò Non esiste l'amor Non esiste l'amor Non esiste l'amor © 1961 Lyrics: Adriano Celentano; Music: Giulio Libano |
Love doesn’t exist, it’s only a fable invented by you to make fun of me. Love doesn’t exist, it’s a ridiculous story, but my heart doesn’t laugh. You even told me that you don’t love me anymore. I can’t think that you’re someone else’s, that your kisses aren’t mine anymore while I still want you. Love doesn’t exist, it’s only a fable. While you laugh at me I love no one but you, and if I cry for love I don’t feel ridiculous. I’m crazy, I know, but my heart I’ll give to you as long as I have a pulse. I can’t think that you’re someone else’s, that your kisses aren’t mine anymore while I still want you. Love doesn’t exist, it’s only a fable. While you laugh at me I love no one but you, and if I cry for love I don’t feel ridiculous. I’m crazy, I know, but my heart I’ll give to you as long as I have a pulse. Love doesn’t exist, love doesn’t exist. English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser Peppermint Twist was Celentano's third album on the Jolly label, released in 1962 after he got out of the military. The album is a collection of previously released singles, with arrangements and backing again by Giulio Libano and his orchestra. Celentano was in a legal dispute with Jolly and had already started his own label, Clan Celentano, but Jolly continued to release previously released singles on this and one more album, even while Celentano was going off on his own. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
