Friday, August 16, 2019

Il ribelle - The Rebel

Io son ribelle, non mi piace questo mondo
Che non vuol la fantasia
Io son ribelle nel vestire, nel pensare
E nell'amar la bimba mia
Ma provo un poco di felicità
Ballando il rock!

Io son ribelle, non mi curo del denaro
E vivo come un gran signore
Io son ribelle, ma sincero, non è vero
Che non abbia un po' di cuore
La mia chitarra piangere mi fa
Ballando il rock!

Mi piace la velocità
Sono un frenetico del jazz
Vorrei ballar perché sento il rock

Io son ribelle, non mi piace questo mondo
Che non vuol la fantasia
Io son ribelle nel vestire, nel pensare
E nell'amar la bimba mia
Ma provo un poco di felicità
Ballando il rock!

Mi piace la velocità
Sono un frenetico del jazz
Vorrei ballar perché sento il rock

Io son ribelle, non mi piace questo mondo
Che non vuol la fantasia
Io son ribelle nel vestire, nel pensare
E nell'amar la bimba mia
Ma provo un poco di felicità
Ballando il rock
Ballando il rock
Ballando il rock
Ballando il rock!

Il ribelle © 1959 Lyrics: Gian Carlo Testoni; Music: Ezio Leoni, Adriano Celentano

Starting in 1958, Celentano's first singles were covers of American rock songs like "Rip It Up" and "Jailhouse Rock." "Il ribelle" was the first of his singles to gain some modest success, and also the first on which he shared writing credit. The song also made a cameo in the film I ragazzi del juke box (The Juke Box Kids), one of the first of the musicarello sub-genre, which targeted youth audiences with songs by young singers.

I’m a rebel, I don’t like this world
that doesn’t want fantasy.
I’m a rebel in dress, in thought,
and in loving my girl.
But I’m feeling some happiness
rock dancing!

I’m a rebel, I don’t care about money
and I live like a great gentleman.
I’m a rebel, but sincerely, it’s not true
that I don’t have any heart.
My guitar makes me cry
rock dancing!

I like speed,
I’m a frenetic of jazz,
I’d like to dance because I hear rock.

I’m a rebel, I don’t like this world
that doesn’t want fantasy.
I’m a rebel in dress, in thought,

and in loving my girl.
But I’m feeling some happiness
rock dancing!

I like speed,
I’m a frenetic of jazz,
I’d like to dance because I hear rock.

I’m a rebel, I don’t like this world
that doesn’t want fantasy.
I’m a rebel in dress, in thought,
and in loving my girl.
But I’m feeling some happiness
rock dancing,
rock dancing,
rock dancing,
rock dancing!

English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser


Adriano Celentano con Giulio Libano e la sua orchestra was Celentano's first album, released in 1960. The album is mostly a collection of previously released singles. Celentano was the first Italian artist to credibly capture the spirit and sound of American rock of the 1950s, presented here big-band style, with accomplished arrangements by Libano, whose jazz players sound like they were enjoying the experience of "rocking out" and backing "Il Mollegiato" (the springy one - Celentano's nickname based on his peculiar style of dancing).