|
Ero un bravo cittadino senza ubbie E badavo solamente a cose mie: Davo il voto a chi sedeva già al potere Per timor d'avere qualche dispiacere Concordavo col padrone e la Questura Su un progresso senza l'ombra d'avventura La mia pace fu però pregiudicata Dal fatto che mi piace l'insalata La condivo con del puro olio d'olivo Ero ignaro ch'era olio di somaro Messo insieme a carogne di balene L'olio è sterilizzato, contraffatto e adulterato Reni, fegato e budella mi schiantò Pеr escludere dеl tutto dai miei pasti Il pericolo di condimenti guasti Fui costretto a eliminar dalla cucina Burro, lardo, grasso, strutto e margarina Ed a forza di pensare, infine volli Far la prova di mangiare solo polli: Polli lessi, fatti in pentola, alla buona Con dell'acqua, sale, pepe e qualche aroma Ma i pollastri son più grassi se li castri E i capponi son castrati con gli ormoni Che son cose sempre un po' pericolose Tant'è vero che io, adesso Sono lì per cambiar sesso E una femmina tra un po' diventerò Abitavo in un moderno appartamento Con struttura "a faccia vista" di cemento Marmo rosa nel soggiorno e nell'ingresso E mosaico rosso e verde dentro il cesso Il mobilio, per mio gusto personale Era in stile barocchetto e chippendale Ma convenni, poi, con grossa delusione Che l'alloggio era di speculazione L'impresa, per contrarre un po' la spesa Ha messo, anziché cemento, gesso Con cura ha ridotto l'armatura E così l'appartamento Con struttura di cemento Una notte sulla testa mi crollò E così, per questa storia sfortunata Mi trovai colla salute rovinata E mia moglie mi privò del proprio affetto E restai senza famiglia e senza tetto Immerso in una gran disperazione Cercai conforto nella religione Sperando di ottener consolazione In atti di profonda devozione Ma, pensate! Le candele eran truccate: Dopo un poco non facevano più fuoco Che disdetta! Anche l'acqua benedetta Era stata mescolata Con dell'acqua sconsacrata Che per sempre la mia anima dannò Ero un consumatore © 1960 Fausto Amodei |
I was a good citizen with no irrational fears and I looked after only my things: I gave my vote to whoever sat in power already, for fear of having some grief. I concurred with the boss and Police Headquarters on a progress without a shadow of adventure. My peace was jeopardized, however, by the fact that I like salad. I drizzled some pure olive oil – I was unaware that it was donkey oil, pulled together with whale carrion. The oil is sterilized, faked, and adulterated – kidneys, liver, and entrails slammed me. To entirely exclude from my meals the danger of tainted condiments, I was constrained to eliminate from the kitchen butter, lard, fat, suet, and margarine. And thinking through it, I finally wanted to test out eating only chickens: boiled chickens, made in a pot, plainly, with some water, salt, pepper, and some flavorings. But the chickens are too fat if you neuter them, and the capons are castrated with the hormones that are things always a little dangerous. The truth is such that I, now, am there to change sex, and a female, in a while, will I become. I lived in a modern apartment with a structure of exposed cement, pink marble in the living room and in the entrance, and red and green mosaic inside the john. The furniture, for my personal taste, was in Baroque-and-Chippendale style. But I agreed, then, with great disappointment, that the accommodations were for speculation. The firm, to cut the spending a bit, put, rather than cement, gypsum, carefully reduced the rebar, and thus the apartment of cement structure one night collapsed on my head. And so, for this unfortunate story, I found myself with ruined health. And my wife deprived me of her affections, and I remained without family and without roof, immersed in great desperation. I sought comfort in religion, hoping to obtain consolation in profound acts of devotion. But, think! The candles were tricked up: after a little they burned no more. Hard luck! Even the holy water had been mixed with some desecrated water that damaged my soul forever. English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser "Cantacronache 6" was the seventh 4-song Cantacronache EP on the Italia Canta label, released in 1960. All of the songs were written and sung by Fausto Amodei. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.

