Monday, June 3, 2019

Uomini di molta fede - Men of Great Faith

Come recente discendente di Salvemini,
dovrei vegliare ma dormo
tipo gli apostoli al Getsemani,
scuotimi perché tra uomini di fede vorrei collocazione,
altro che stare tra i porci come Legione,
buttarmi a mare privo di nuoto, devoto
a chi ci cammina su piuttosto che a Beelzebul,
chino sul banco, stanco di 'sti professori;
il mio maestro sta coi pubblicani, coi peccatori.
Signori ci siamo, pian piano la promessa fatta
ad Abramo é giunta al tempo che viviamo,
inaridita mano guarisci anche di Sabato,
i miei occhi vedano come ciechi a gerico,
moltiplico preghiere come pani e pesci, una miriade,
vivo nella tempesta tipo Tiberiade,
Erodiade, mi tenti nell'errore
nonostante i profeti decapitati per amore.

Voglio stare tra gli uomini di molta fede,
tra chi vede, tra chi ci crede,
solo tra gli uomini di molta fede,
perché i disegni dei sapienti sono vani.

Voglio molta fede io, non come un fariseo,
magari come un centurione a Cafarnao,
mi ciberò di briciole come un cane ansimante,
coerente come un credente praticante,
non come le tante menti della faida,
guai a te Corazin, guai a te Betsaida
vai da scribi nascosti nell'alibi degli abiti,
perfidi vignaiuoli, figliuoli per niente prodighi.
Ma c'é chi si allontana
e viene a bere vino a Cana,
é il seme caduto sulla terra buona,
vuole impiegare i suoi talenti perché il padrone arriva
quando meno t'aspetti certi momenti, senti,
da Pagano che sono resto all'erta
in attesa che San Paolo mi converta,
aprendomi la porta stretta,
quella delle vite misere,
do a Cesare quel che é di Cesare ma...

Voglio stare tra gli uomini di molta fede,
tra chi vede, tra chi ci crede,
solo tra gli uomini di molta fede,
perché i disegni dei sapienti sono vani.

Voglio me tra chi é di fede,
non tra chi si crede di fede
ma lede la lode, zero fedi per mode,
quando il verbo s'ode è il cuore che infonde
la fede che fende le onde,
onde evitare di darsi
al piacere con chi confonde,
fede diffonde quiete, in fondo miete grano,
zero zizzania dove passa la sua mano,
strano che prima ero lontano,
com'é che un tempo odiavo ciò che adesso amo?
Se non è questo un richiamo sarà un ricamo sull'anima,
vino da annacquare con lacrima,
fisica dimora per ora perchè la merito,
più in là si vedrà dove dimorerà il mio spirito,
al seguito di un motto proverbiale:
meglio fare del bene che non fare niente di male.

Voglio stare tra gli uomini di molta fede,
tra chi vede, tra chi ci crede,
solo tra gli uomini di molta fede,
perché i disegni dei sapienti sono vani.

Uomini di molta fede © 2000 Caparezza

For a self-described "Pagan," in "Uomini di molta fede" Caparezza shows himself to be quite versed in the Biblical world, and even open to conversion.

Like recent Salvemini descendants,
I should be vigilant but I sleep
like the Apostles
of Gethsemane.
Shake me, because I’d like a place among men of faith
rather than being amongst the pigs à la Legion.
Push me into the sea unable to swim, devoted
more to whoever walks thereon than to Beelzebub.
I lean over the desk, tired of these professors;
my master stands with the Publicans, with the sinners.
We are gentlemen, slowly the promise made
to Abraham is reached in the times we live,
withered hand, you heal even on the Sabbath,
my eyes see like the blind at Jericho,
I multiply prayers like breads and fishes, a myriad,
I live in the tempest, Tiberias-style.
Herodias, you hold me in error
notwithstanding the prophets beheaded for love.

I want to be among men of great faith,
among those who see, among those who believe,
only among men of great faith,
because the plans of the sages are useless.

I want great faith, not like a Pharisee,
perhaps like a Centurion at Capernaum,
I’ll eat crumbs like a panting dog,
coherent as a believing churchgoer,
not like so many minds of the blood feud,
woe to you Chorazin, woe to you Bethsaida,
go to scribes hidden in the alibi of their clothing,
wicked winegrowers, sons hardly prodigal.
But there are some who break away
and come and drink wine at Cana of Galilee,
the seed fallen on the good soil,
he wants to employ his talents, because the owner arrives
when you least expect certain moments, listen -
as Pagan that I am, I remain alert,
waiting for St. Paul to convert me,
opening for me the narrow door -
that one of the miserable lives -
I give to Caesar that which is Caesar’s but . . .

I want to be among men of great faith,
among those who see, among those who believe,
only among men of great faith,
because the plans of the sages are useless.

I want myself among those of faith,
not among those who believe themselves of faith
but harm the praise, zero faiths for fashions,
when the verb hates itself it’s the heart that inspires
the faith that cuts through waves,
waves to avoid the giving of oneself
to pleasure with whoever confuses,
faith spreads calm, in the end it harvests the grain,
zero discord where its hand passes,
strange that first I was far away,
how is it that one time I hated what I now love?
If this isn’t a recall maybe it’s embroidery on the soul,
wine to water down with tears,
bodily dwelling for now because I deserve it,
further along we’ll see where my spirit will dwell,
as a follow-up to a proverbial saying:
better to do good than not to do any harm.

I want to be among men of great faith,
among those who see, among those who believe,
only among men of great faith,
because the plans of the sages are useless.

English translation © 2017 Dennis Criteser


Michele Salvemini began his musical career in 1995 as Mikimix, trying unsuccessfully to break into Italy's pop mainstream as a rap artist. From 1998 to 2000 he reworked his image and his music at home in his garage, and ?! presented the fruits of his labors, unveiled under his new nome d'arte - Caparezza, which means "curly head" in his local Molfetta dialect.