Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Tutto cio che c'é - All That Is

Tutto ciò che c'é c'é già.
Tutto ciò che c'é c'é già.
Tutto ciò che c'é c'é già.
Allora nei miei pezzi che si fa?
Tutto ciò che c'é c'é già.
Allora nei miei pezzi che si fa?

Vorrei che i pidocchi
abitassero la testa di Branduardi,
giocare a Tomb Raider insieme a Finardi,
uscire solo con la Cinquetti e tornare tardi,
vorrei sapere la mia lingua meno di Biscardi,
criticare sgorbi disegnati da Sgarbi,
mettere peli sotto le ascelle di Barbie,
sapere che Wilma se la fa con Barnie,
che di nascosto Red Ronnie
s'abbuffa di carni, fermi,
vorrei accendere la radio
e sintonizzarmi su Jannacci
che ammette che é astemio,
vorrei stare al Music Awards, vincere un premio,
Michael Jackson dice "Capa sei un genio",
vorrei che il mitico Leonardo Di Caprio
facesse film solo quando Vasco é sobrio,
io vorrei che i Backstreet Boys fossero gay,
che le teenager amassero Casadei.
(Casadei, Casadei, Casadei)

Tutto ciò che c'é c'é già.
Allora nei miei pezzi che si fa?
Renderò possibile l'impossibile
fino a rendere possibile la realtà.

Vorrei che Naomi Campbell
senza bikini facesse il filo a Ceccherini,
che invece vuole fuggire con la Nannini
nella discoteca dove spingono Masini,
Cristina D'Avena faccia dodici bambini
che fanno cacca che si attacca ai pannolini,
poi la vedi al bar
che ci dà col Martini,
s'ingozza con gli alcolici,
duetta con i Prodigy,
vorrei alzare calici come un prete perfetto,
Marilyn Manson mi farà da chierichetto,
vorrei che la Marini fosse senza culetto,
che mi mostrasse il suo Do di petto,
aspetto che nasca Capa Rezza junior,
Martufello? Il massimo dello humor,
Shaquille O'Neale che fa l'amore in Mini Minor,
Casadei, dove sei? I want you freedom!
(Freedom. Liberi, Liberi, Liberi)

Tutto ciò che c'é c'é già.
Allora nei miei pezzi che si fa?
Renderò possibile l'impossibile
fino a rendere possibile la realtà.

Tutto cio che c'é © 2000 Caparezza

In "Tutto cio che c'é," Caparezza faces the songwriter's task of finding something new to say when it seems like everything has already been said. His solution is to fantasize a long list of famous personalities in weird or improbable settings or acting in ways that humorously turn the world on its head. 1) Angelo Branduardi, like Caparezza, has a big head of hair; 2) Eugenio Finardi wrote a song called "Love Me Lara," dedicated to Lara Croft of Tomb Raider fame; 3) Gigliola Cinquetti's signature song "I'm Not Old Enough" contains the line "I'm not old enough to go out with you"; 4) TV host Aldo Biscardi was known in part for his linguistic gaffes and puns; 5) Vittorio Sgarbi is an art critic and politician noted for becoming easily irritated; 6) journalist and music critic Red Ronnie is famously vegan; 7) singer/songwriter Enzo Jannacci was also an MD; 8) rocker Vasco Rossi is noted for a lifestyle that embraced drugs and alcohol; 9) Raoul Casadei is an old-school musician and bandleader associated with ballroom dancing; 10) imagine super model Campbell flirting with the homely comic Massimo Ceccherini who prefers going out with rocker Gianna Nannini to a disco playing the melancholy songs of Marco Masini; 11) singer/actress Cristina D'Avena is noted for her songs for children and cartoon theme songs; 12) the style of English beat band The Prodigy is completely opposite that of D'Avena; 13) Caparezza's word play here refers both to a note sung low in a singer's range as well as to the assets of the curvaceous showgirl/actress Valeria Marini; 14) Caparezza is ironic in proclaiming comic Martufello "the maximum of humor."

All that is, already is.
All that is, already is.
All that is, already is.
So okay, in my pieces what’s to do?
All that is, already is.
So okay, in my pieces what’s to do?

I’d like it if lice
were to reside on Branduardi’s head,
(I’d like) to play Tomb Raider together with Finardi,
go out alone with Cinquetti and come back late,
I’d like to know my language less than Biscardi,
criticize scribbles drawn by Sgarbi,
put hair in the armpits of Barbie,
know that Wilma is getting it on with Barnie,
that, on the sly, Red Ronnie
stuffs himself with meat, wait,
I’d like to turn the radio on
and tune in to Jannacci
who admits that he’s a teetotaler,
I’d like to be at the Music Awards, to be a winner,
Michael Jackson says, “Capa, you’re a genius.”
I’d like it if the legendary Leonardo Di Caprio
would make a film only when Vasco is sober,
I would like it if The Backstreet Boys were gay,
if teenagers would love Casadei.
(Casadei, Casadei, Casadei)

All that is, already is.
So okay, in my pieces what’s to do?
I’ll make possible the impossible
until I make reality possible.

I’d like it if Naomi Campbell,
without bikini, would flirt with Ceccherini,
who instead wants to escape with Nannini
to the discotheque where they’re pushing Masini;
if Cristina D’Avena would have twelve children
whose poop sticks to their diapers,
then you see her at the café
overdoing it with Martini,
gorging herself with the alcoholics -
she duets with The Prodigy.
I’d like to raise chalices like a perfect priest,
Marilyn Manson might make me an altar boy.
I’d like it if Marini were without her booty,
so she could show me her C-note in chest-voice,
I’m waiting ‘til Capa Rezza junior is born.
Martufello? The maximum of humor,
Shaquille O’Neale who makes love in a Morris Mini,
Casadei, where are you? I want you freedom!
(Freedom. We’re free, we’re free, we’re free)

All that is, already is.
So okay, in my pieces what’s to do?
I’ll make possible the impossible
until I make possible reality.

English translation © 2017 Dennis Criteser


Michele Salvemini began his musical career in 1995 as Mikimix, trying unsuccessfully to break into Italy's pop mainstream as a rap artist. From 1998 to 2000 he reworked his image and his music at home in his garage, presenting the fruits of his labors, ?!, unveiled under his new nome d'arte - Caparezza, which means "curly head" in his local Molfetta dialect.