|
Il polpaccio, nella mia vita non è determinante, ne posso benissimo fare a meno. Quando mi è caduto, non me ne sono neanche accorto. Ahi ahi ahi ahi Perdo i pezzi ma non è per colpa mia se una cosa non la usi non funziona ma che vuoto se un ginocchio ti va via che tristezza se un'ascella ti abbandona. Che rimpianto per quel femore stupendo ero lì che lo cercavo mogio mogio poi dal treno ho perso un braccio salutando mi dispiace che ci avevo l'orologio. Che distratto, perdo sempre tutto. Passeggiavo senza stinchi col mio amore ho intravisto nei suoi occhi un po' d'angoscia io l'amavo tanto e ci ho lasciato il cuore ci ho lasciato già che c'ero anche una coscia. A una festa con gli amici ho perso un dito ve l'ho detto di non stringermi la mano son rimasto un po' confuso e amareggiato quando ho visto le mie chiappe sul divano. Ahi ahi ahi ahi Che routine, che poi uno si smonta eh. Guarda quello lì ci ha ancora una tibia che invidia. C'è qualcuno che comincia a lamentarsi c’è disordine in città io lo capisco tutto pieno di malleoli e metatarsi a momenti scivolavo su un menisco. Oramai io camminavo con il petto c'era uno senza pancia un po' robusto era fermo e mi guardava con sospetto solidale ci ho lasciato mezzo busto. Ahi ahi ahi ahi Come tutti perdo i pezzi piano piano c’è di buono che ragiono molto bene ora ci ho praticamente un gran testone e un testicolo per la riproduzione. Ahi Che disagio che umiliazione Va beh, vorrà dire che non farò sport. Ahi! © 1973 - Giorgio Gaber (music, lyrics) and Sandro Luporini (lyrics) |
The calf, in my life it isn’t crucial, I can do just fine without it. When it fell off, I hardly even noticed. Aaaay, ay ay ay. I lose pieces but it’s not my fault, if you don’t use something it doesn’t work. But what an emptiness if a knee leaves you, what sadness if an armpit abandons you. What regret for that stupendous femur, I was there, I searched so dejectedly for it, then to the train I lost an arm, saluting, I’m sorry that I had a watch there. What a distraction, I’m always losing everything. I was walking without shinbones with my love, I spied in her eyes a bit of anguish. I loved her so and I left there my heart, I left, while I was at it, also a thigh. At a party with friends I lost a finger, I told you not to shake my hand. I remained a little confused and bitter when I saw my buttocks on the couch. Aaay, ay ay ay. What a routine, that one then disassembles, eh. Look at that one there, he still has a tibia, what envy. There’s someone who begins to complain, there’s disorder in the city, I get it. Everything full of ankles and metatarsals, at times I was slipping on a meniscus. By now I was walking with the torso, there was one with no stomach, slightly robust. He had stopped and looked at me with suspicion, in solidarity I left there half a bust. Aaay, ay ay ay. Like everyone, I lose the pieces slowly, what’s good is that I reason very well. Now I have practically a great big head and a testicle for reproduction. Aaaay What discomfort, what humiliation, but hey, it will mean that I don’t play sports. Aaay! English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser Far finta di essere sani (Pretending to be Healthy) is a double album recorded in the studio that collects the songs and monologues of Gaber's 1973-1974 theater season. An underlying theme is the mind-body split, the inability to line up one's ideals with everyday life, to make the personal and the political converge. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
