|
Da una vita ci guardiamo Sì, va bene, ci vogliamo bene Ma come tutti ci isoliamo Ci dev'essere per forza un'altra soluzione Forse la comune Non ha senso la famiglia coniugale Ho bisogno di trovare un'apertura A una vita troppo chiusa, troppo uguale Forse la comune Dove ognuno può portare le sue esperienze Un po' stretti, qualche volta in poche stanze Ogni tanto qualche piccola tensione Qualcheduno m'ha svegliato E adesso non riesco più a dormire Chi s'è bevuto il mio caffè Chi s'è messo ancora il mio costume? Tento la comune Specialmente per i figli uno spazio nuovo Per ognuno tante madri e tanti padri Voglio dire senza madri e senza padri Tento la comune Non esiste proprio più niente che sia possesso Ed è molto più normale volersi bene Finalmente non è un problema nemmeno il sesso Da te non me l'aspettavo Ti credevo una ragazza sana E pensare che ti stimavo Ti comporti come una puttana Amo la comune La tua donna preferisce un altro ma è naturale Non fa niente se si ingrossa la tensione Poi l'angoscia, poi la rabbia più bestiale Amo la comune Senza più nessun ritegno si arriva ad odiarsi E alla fine quando esplode la tensione Come bestie, come cani ci si sbrana a morsi Sì, ci odiamo, ci ammazziamo Sì, ci sbraniamo per il caffè Chissà cosa c'è sotto a quel caffè C'è l'odio, l'invidia, la gelosia C'è la solita merda che ritorna fuori E allora ci ammazziamo, sì, ci sbraniamo Meglio la comune. Meglio la comune. Meglio la comune Meglio la comune che dirci: "Buongiorno cara, hai dormito bene? Te l'avevo detto che il Serpax funziona. Ah, stasera vengono a cena i Cotinelli? Mi fa piacere. Sì, grazie, ancora un po' di caffè..." © 1973 - Giorgio Gaber (music, lyrics) and Sandro Luporini (lyrics) |
We've watched each other for a lifetime. Yes, okay, we love each other, but like everyone, we isolate ourselves. There must definitely be another solution. Maybe the commune. The conjugal family doesn’t make sense. I need to find an openness to a life too closed, too much the same. Maybe the commune, where each one can bring their experiences. A little tight, sometimes in few rooms, once in a while some small tensions. Somebody woke me up and now I can’t sleep anymore. Who drank my coffee, who put on my suit? I’m trying the commune, especially for the children, a new space, for each so many mothers and so many fathers, I mean without mothers and without fathers. I’m trying the commune, nothing exists any more that is possessed, and it’s much more normal to love each other, finally it’s not a problem, not even sex. From you I wasn’t expecting it, I believed you were a healthy girl, and to think that I respected you. You behave like a whore. I love the commune, your woman prefers someone else but it’s natural. It’s okay if the tension increases, then the anguish, then the more bestial rage. I love the commune. With no further restraint, you arrive at hating yourself, and in the end when the tension explodes, like beasts, like dogs, its teeth tear us apart. Yes, we hate ourselves, we kill ourselves, yes, we tear at each other for the coffee. Who knows what there is under that coffee. There’s hatred, envy, jealousy, there’s the usual crap that comes back out, and then we kill each other, yes, we tear each other apart. Better the commune. Better the commune. Better the commune. Better the commune that says to us: “Hello, dear, did you sleep well? I told you that the Serepax works. Ah, this evening the Cotinellis are coming to dinner? I’m glad. Yes, thanks, a little more coffee . . .” English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser Far finta di essere sani (Pretending to be Healthy) is a double album recorded in the studio that collects the songs and monologues of Gaber's 1973-1974 theater season. An underlying theme is the mind-body split, the inability to line up one's ideals with everyday life, to make the personal and the political converge. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
