|
L'orologio scandisce il tempo un rumore continua snervante un silenzio assordante in questa stanza vuota senza te cerco la tua immagine. Dalla strada voci confuse io ti aspetto e le sto ad ascoltare delle donne che ridono ma fra queste voci non ci sei no non sei ancora qui. Troppe volte t’ho già perdonata fino a quando potrò sopportare io vorrei ammazzarti come il cane rabbioso che senza un perché morde il suo padrone. L'orologio scandisce il tempo finalmente tu sei tornata ora striscio ai tuoi piedi tu sei la regina chiedo a te fai quello che vuoi di me. © 1968 - Giorgio Gaber, Giorgio Casellato (music), Giorgio Gaber (lyrics) |
The clock marks time, a sound continues, unnerving, a deafening silence. In this empty room without you I look for your image. From the street, confused voices, I await you, and I am listening for you. Some women who laugh, but among these voices you’re not there, no, you’re still not here. Too many times I have pardoned you until I can bear it. I would like to kill you like the mad dog who for no reason bites his owner. The clock marks time, finally you have returned. Now I grovel at your feet, you’re the queen, I ask of you, do what you want with me. English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser "L'orologio" is from the album L'asse di equilibrio (Balance Beam), which was released in 1968. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
