|
Mi ricordo la mia meraviglia e forse l’allegria Di guardare a quei pochi che rifiutavano tutto Mi ricordo certi atteggiamenti e certe facce giuste Che si univano come un’ondata che rifiuta e che resiste Ora il mondo è pieno di queste facce È veramente troppo pieno E questo scambio di emozioni Di barbe di baffi e di chimoni Non fa più male a nessuno Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Non so cos’è successo A queste facce a questa gente Se sia solo un fatto estetico O qualche cosa di più importante Se sia un mio ripensamento O la mia mancanza di entusiasmo Ma mi sembrano già facce Da rotocalchi o da ente del Turismo Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda E visti alla distanza Non siete poi tanto diversi Dai piccolo borghesi Che offrono champagne e fanno i generosi Che sanno divertirsi E fanno la fortuna e la vergogna Dei litorali più sperduti e delle grandi spiagge Della Sardegna Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda E anche se è diverso Il vostro grado di coscienza Quando è moda è moda Non c’è nessuna differenza Tra quella del playboy Più sorpassato e più reazionario A quella sublimata Di fare una comune o un consultorio Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Io per me se ci avessi La forza e l’arroganza Direi che sono diverso E quasi certamente solo Direi che non riesco a sopportare Le vecchie assurde istituzioni E le vostre manie creative Le vostre innovazioni Io sono diverso Io cambio poco Cambio molto lentamente Non riesco a digerire I corsi accelerati da Lenin all’Oriente E anche nell’amore Non riesco a conquistare la vostra leggerezza Non riesco neanche a improvvisare O a fare un po’ l’omosessuale Tanto per cambiare Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda E siete anche originali Basta ascoltare qualche vostra frase Piena di nuove parole Sempre più acculturate sempre più disgustose Che per uno normale Per uno di onesti sentimenti Quando ve le sente in bocca Avrebbe una gran voglia Che vi saltassero i denti Quando è moda è moda, quando è moda è moda Quando è moda è moda, quando è moda è moda Io per me se ci avessi La forza e l’arroganza Direi che non è più tempo Di fare mischiamenti Che è il momento di prender le distanze Che non voglio inventarmi più amori Che non voglio più avervi come amici Come interlocutori Sono diverso e certamente solo Sono diverso perché non sopporto Il buon senso comune Ma neanche la retorica del pazzo Non ho nessuna voglia Di assurde compressioni Ma nemmeno di liberarmi a cazzo Non voglio velleitarie mescolanze con nessuno Nemmeno più con voi Ma non sopporto neanche La legge dilagante del "fatti i cazzi tuoi" Sono diverso sono polemico e violento Non ho nessun rispetto per la democrazia E parlo molto male di prostitute e detenuti Da quanto mi fa schifo chi ne fa dei miti Di quelli che diranno Che sono qualunquista Non me ne frega niente Non sono più compagno Né femministaiolo militante Mi fanno schifo le vostre animazioni Le ricerche popolari e le altre cazzate E finalmente non sopporto le vostre donne liberate Con cui voi discutete democraticamente Sono diverso perché quando è merda è merda Non ha importanza la specificazione Autisti di piazza, studenti, barbieri, santoni, artisti, operai Gramsciani, cattolici, nani, datori di luci, baristi Troie, ruffiani, paracadutisti Ufologi Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda Quando è moda è moda quando è moda è moda © 1978 - Giorgio Gaber (music, lyrics) and Sandro Luporini (lyrics) "Quando è moda è moda" was the show's finale. Luporini writes that when the curtains closed, it seemed more like a farewell than a goodbye, "a door slammed in the face, signaling, without return, the end of a relation of love" with the youth movement that both he and Luporini so identified with since its beginnings ten years before. |
I remember my marvel and maybe my joy in watching those few who refused everything. I remember certain attitudes and certain proper faces that united like a wave that refutes and resists. Now the world is full of these faces, it’s truly too full, and this exchange of emotions of beards of mustaches and of kimonos doesn’t hurt anyone anymore. When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style I don’t know what happened to these faces and these people, if it’s only an aesthetic issue or something more important, if it’s one of my reconsiderations or my lack of enthusiasm, but they seem to me already faces from the tabloids or from the Tourist Bureau. When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style And seen at a distance, you’re not so different from the petty bourgeois who offer champagne and make like the generous who know how to have fun and they make fortune and shame of the most remote shores and of the grand beaches of Sardinia. When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style And even if it’s different, your level of awareness when it’s fashion, it’s fashion there’s no difference between that of the playboy most outdated and most reactionary to that sublimated to making a commune or a consulting business. When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style For me, if you had the strength and the arrogance, I’d say that I am different and almost certainly alone, I’d say that I’m not able to stand the old, absurd institutions and your creative manias, your innovations. I’m different, I change little I change very slowly, I don’t manage to digest the accelerated courses from Lenin to the Orient. And even in love, I don’t manage to conquer your lightness, I don’t manage even to improvise or to do a little homosexual just for a change. When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style And you are also originals, enough already listening to some of your phrases full of new words ever more cultured ever more disgusting, that for a normal person, for one of honest feelings, when he hears them in your mouth would have a great desire that you bite your tongue. When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style For me, if you had the strength and the arrogance, I’d say that it's no longer the time to scramble things, that it’s time to take a step back, that I don’t want to invent more loves, that I no longer want to have you as friends, as interlocutors. I’m different and certainly alone, I’m different because I can’t stand common good sense but also not the rhetoric of the crazy. I have no desire for absurd compressions nor to fucking liberate myself. I don’t want fanciful mixtures with anyone, not even anymore with you, but I also can’t stand the widespread law of “do your own damn thing.” I’m different, I am polemical and violent, I have no respect for democracy and I talk quite ill of prostitutes and prisoners from how much I’m sickened by whoever makes myths. Of those who will say that I am indifferent, I don’t give a shit, I’m no longer a companion nor militant feminist. Your animations disgust me, the popular research and the other bullshit and finally I can’t stand your liberated women with whom you argue democratically. I’m different because when it’s shit, it’s shit, it’s not important the specification. Plaza drivers, students, barbers, holy men, artists, workers, Gramsci followers, Catholics, midgets, illuminators, baristas, whores, ruffians, paratroopers, UFOlogists. When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style When it’s in style, it’s in style English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser Polli d'allevamento (Farmed Chickens) is a live double album that collects the songs and monologues of Gaber's 1978-1979 theater season. After a decade where youth culture was marked by a sense of need for changes in society, Gaber and Luporini are now disappointed in the youth, whose talk about struggling against the system is a fake battle and just an attitude, where they feel the need to isolate themselves from a society in freefall. Gaber's reception in the theaters was often marked by insults and coin-tossing. He decided to step down from the stage at the end of this tour and didn't return with another show for two years. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
