Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Il corpo stupido - The Stupid Body

Mi parlava di un certo discorso che lei porta avanti
Era colta e piuttosto impegnata su certi argomenti
Era sempre precisa e diretta
Ho passato una notte a ascoltarla
Era perfetta
Ma non ho avuto voglia di toccarla

Com'è corretta l'ideologia
Com'è ignorante la simpatia

Io purtroppo non riesco a istruire il mio tatto
Non riesco a politicizzare l'olfatto
Se insegno qualcosa al mio sesso diventa tiepido
C'ho il corpo stupido

Dopo un po' si è sdraiata sul letto
e parlava di orgasmo
Ho rivisto la nostra serata con molto entusiasmo
Ma quel libro che lei mi ha citato
Che mi indica dove toccarla
Mi ha un po' bloccato
Non ho più avuto voglia di spogliarla

Com'è corretto il suo intervento
Com'è ignorante l'arrapamento

Io magari non ho un'attrazione spontanea
Ma insisto perché condivido la linea
È assurdo che io non mi senta voglioso e cupido
C'ho il corpo stupido
Lei voleva una cosa diversa dal solito incontro
L'importante è conoscersi bene,
guardarsi di dentro
Eravamo d'accordo su tutto
Sul politico e sul personale
Ma c'era un blocco
Nel senso del rapporto genitale

Com'è corretta l'introspezione
Com'è ignorante la mia erezione

© 1974 - Giorgio Gaber (music, lyrics) and Sandro Luporini (lyrics)



She spoke to me of a certain discourse she brings forward.
She was cultured and rather engaged in certain subjects.
She was always precise and direct.
I passed a night listening to her,
she was perfect,
but I didn’t have the desire to touch her.

How correct the ideology is,
how ignorant the sympathy.

Unfortunately, I’m not able to instruct my tact,
I can’t manage to politicize my olfactory.
If I teach something to my sex, it becomes lukewarm.
I have a stupid body.

After a while, she lay down on the bed
and talked about orgasm.
I reviewed our evening with much enthusiasm,
but that book she cited to me
that indicated where to touch her
blocked me a little,
I no longer had the desire to undress her.

How correct her intervention,
how ignorant the rapture.

I don’t have a spontaneous attraction,
but I insist because I share the line.
It’s absurd that I don’t feel desirous and greedy,
I have a stupid body.
She wanted something different from the usual encounter.
What’s important is to understand each other well,
to look inside each other.
We agreed on everything,
on the political and the personal,
but there was a block
in the sense of the genital rapport.

How correct the introspection,
how ignorant my erection.

English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser


Anche per oggi non si vola (Even for Today One Doesn't Fly) is a live double album that collects the songs and monologues of Gaber's 1974-1975 theater season. Some of the songs on the album reflect a sense that the urgent need for social and political change felt in the late 1960s was being lost to an attitude preferring comfort and ease.