|
Generalmente mi ricordo una domenica di sole una mattina molto bella un’aria già primaverile in cui ti senti più pulito Anche la strada è più pulita senza schiamazzi e senza suoni chissà perché non piove mai quando ci sono le elezioni Una curiosa sensazione che rassomiglia un po' a un esame di cui non senti la paura ma una dolcissima emozione E poi la gente per la strada li vedo tutti più educati sembrano anche un po' più buoni ed è più bella anche la scuola quando ci sono le elezioni Persino nei carabinieri c’è un’aria più rassicurante ma mi ci vuole un certo sforzo per presentarmi con coraggio C’è un gran silenzio nel mio seggio un senso d’ordine e di pulizia democrazia Mi danno in mano un paio di schede e una bellissima matita lunga sottile marroncina perfettamente temperata E vado verso la cabina volutamente disinvolto per non tradire le emozioni E faccio un segno sul mio segno come son giuste le elezioni E’ proprio vero che fa bene un po' di partecipazione con cura piego le due schede e guardo ancora la matita così perfetta e temperata io quasi quasi me la porto via democrazia © 1976 - Giorgio Gaber (music, lyrics) and Sandro Luporini (lyrics) |
Generally I remember a Sunday of sun, a really beautiful morning, the air already spring-like in which you feel cleaner. Even the street is cleaner, with no shouting and no sounds. Who knows why it never rains when there are elections. A curious sensation that somewhat resembles an exam about which you don’t feel afraid, but an emotion most sweet. And then the people in the street, I see them all more well-behaved, they even seem a little better, and school is even nicer when there are elections. Even in the policemen there’s a more reassuring air, but it takes a certain effort for me to present myself with courage. There’s a great silence in my polling station, a sense of order and cleanliness – Democracy. They hand over a pair of ballots and a most beautiful pencil, long, fine, brownish, perfectly sharpened. And I go towards the booth purposefully casual so as not to betray my emotions. And I make a mark on my mark, how fair the elections are! It’s really true that it’s beneficial, a bit of participation – with care I bend the two ballots, and I still look at the pencil, so perfect and sharpened. I almost, almost take it away – Democracy. English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser Libertà obligatoria (Obligatory Freedom) is a live double album that collects the songs and monologues of Gaber's 1976-1977 theater season. The question overarching this collection of material is whether we are free or obligated to be free. Another theme is the relationship between a person and his/her body. To Gaber and Luporini, the capitalist system had lodged so deeply into life as to modify an individual's awareness of their own body and needs. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
