|
Santi che pagano il mio pranzo non ce n'è sulle panchine in Piazza Grande, ma quando ho fame di mercanti come me qui non ce n'è. Dormo sull'erba e ho molti amici intorno a me, gli innamorati in Piazza Grande, dei loro guai dei loro amori tutto so, sbagliati e no. A modo mio avrei bisogno di carezze anch'io. A modo mio avrei bisogno di sognare anch'io. Una famiglia vera e propria non ce l'ho e la mia casa è Piazza Grande, a chi mi crede prendo amore e amore do, quanto ne ho. Con me di donne generose non ce n'è, rubo l'amore in Piazza Grande, e meno male che briganti come me qui non ce n'è. A modo mio avrei bisogno di carezze anch'io. Avrei bisogno di pregare Dio. Ma la mia vita non la cambierò mai mai, a modo mio quel che sono l'ho voluto io Lenzuola bianche per coprirci non ne ho sotto le stelle in Piazza Grande, e se la vita non ha sogni io li ho e te li do. E se non ci sarà più gente come me voglio morire in Piazza Grande, tra i gatti che non han padrone come me attorno a me Piazza Grande © 1972 Lucio Dalla, Ron, Gianfranco Baldazzi, Sergio Bardotti |
Saints who pay for my lunch, there aren’t any on the benches in Piazza Grande. But when I’m hungry for traders like me, there aren’t any here. I sleep on the grass and have lots of friends around me, the sweethearts in Piazza Grande. Of their troubles and their loves I know everything, mistakes and all. In my own way, I, too, would need caresses. In my own way, I, too, would need to dream. A true family of my own, I don’t have it, and my home is Piazza Grande. With whoever believes me I share love, as much as I have of it. And women generous with me, there are none. I steal love in Piazza Grande, and it’s a good thing that outlaws like me, there aren’t any here. In my own way, I, too, would need caresses, I would need to pray to God. But my life I would never ever change. In my own way, what I am is what I wanted. White sheets to cover us, I have none under the stars in Piazza Grande. And if life has no dreams, I have them and I give them to you. And if there no longer will be folks like me, I want to die in Piazza Grande, among the cats that don’t have masters – like me – all around me. English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser "Piazza Grande," released in 1972, was only published as a single and never appeared on an album. It placed 8th in the 1972 Sanremo Music Festival. There isn't a piazza in Bologna named Piazza Grande, though Piazza Cavour has the elements cited in the song. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
