Saturday, December 15, 2018

Tu, forse non essenzialmente tu -
You, Maybe Not Essentially You

Tu, forse non essenzialmente tu
Un'altra, ma è meglio fossi tu
Tu, forse non essenzialmente tu
Hai scavato dentro me e l'amicizia c'è
Io, che ho bisogno di raccontare io
La necessità di vivere rimane in me

E sono ormai convinto da molte lune
Dell'inutilità irreversibile del tempo
Mi svegli alle nove e sei decisamente tu
E non si ha il tempo di vedere la mamma e si è già nati
E i minuti rincorrersi senza convivenza
Mi svegli e sei decisamente tu

Forse non essenzialmente tu
E la notte confidenzialmente blu
Cercare l'anima

Tu, forse non essenzialmente tu
Un'altra, ma è meglio fossi tu

E vado dal Barone, ma non gioco a dama
Bevo birra chiara in lattina
Me ne frego e non penso a te
Avrei bisogno sempre di un passaggio
Ma conosco le coincidenze del 60 notturno
Lo prendo sempre per venire da te

Forse non essenzialmente tu
E la notte confidenzialmente blu
Cercare l'anima

Tu, forse non essenzialmente tu © 1974 Rino Gaetano

"Tu, forse non essenzialmente tu" is based on Gaetano's deep friendship with Bruno Franceschelli, whom he met in 1974 in a Roman cafe, Barone. Franceschelli inspired many of Gaetano's songs. The "nighttime 60" was a bus route that Gaetano took to and from his mother's home, where he lived. The song was published as a single with some success, garnering radio play on a popular radio program of the time, Alto Gradimento.

You, maybe not essentially you –
someone else, a girl, but it’s better if it’s you.
You, maybe not essentially you,
have dug around inside of me and friendship is there.
I, who need to tell stories, me –
the need to live remains in me.

And for many moons I’m now convinced
of the irreversible futility of time.
You wake me at nine and you are decidedly you,
and one has no time to see momma and is already born,
and the minutes chase each other without living together,
you wake me and you're decidedly you.

Maybe not essentially you,
and the night confidentially blue,
searching for the soul.

You, maybe not essentially you –
someone else, but it’s better if it’s you.

And I go to Barone but I don’t play checkers,
I drink light beer in the can.
I don’t give a fuck and I don’t think about you.
I would always need a ride,
but I know the accidents of the nighttime 60,
I always take it coming over to your place.

You, maybe not essentially you,
and the night confidentially blue,
searching for the soul.

English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser


Ingresso libero (Free Entry) was Gaetano's first album. It was not particularly well received by critics or the public. The album cover shows Gaetano in motion walking past the brick facade of the first house his family lived in when they moved to Rome from Calabria; Gaetano was 9 years old at the time.