|
Ad esempio a me piace la strada Col verde bruciato, magari sul tardi Macchie più scure senza rugiada Coi fichi d'India e le spine dei cardi Ad esempio a me piace vedere La donna nel nero nel lutto di sempre Sulla sua soglia tutte le sere Che aspetta il marito che torna dai campi Ma come fare non so Si devo dirlo ma a chi Se mai qualcuno capirà Sarà senz'altro un altro come me Ad esempio a me piace rubare Le pere mature sui rami se ho fame Ma quando bevo sono pronto a pagare L'acqua, che in quella terra è più del pane Camminare con quel contadino Che forse fa la stessa mia strada Parlare dell'uva, parlare del vino Che ancora è un lusso per lui che lo fa Ma come fare non so Si devo dirlo ma a chi Se mai qualcuno capirà Sarà senz'altro un altro come me Ad esempio a me piace per gioco Tirar dei calci a una zolla di terra Passarla a dei bimbi che intorno al fuoco Cantano giocano e fanno la guerra Poi mi piace scoprire lontano Il mare se il cielo è all'imbrunire Seguire la luce di alcune lampare E raggiunto alla spiaggia mi piace dormire Ma come fare non so Si devo dirlo ma a chi Se mai qualcuno capirà Sarà senz'altro un altro come me Ma come fare non so Si devo dirlo ma a chi Se mai qualcuno capirà Sarà senz'altro un altro come me Ad esempio a me piace... il sud © 1974 Rino Gaetano "Ad esempio a me piace... il sud" explores Gaetano's connection to southern Italy. He was born and spent most of the first nine years of his life in Crotone on the coast of Calabria. |
For example, I like the street with the sunburnt green, maybe late in the day, darker stains without rust, with prickly pears and thistle prickles. For example, I like to see the woman in black, in forever mourning, at her doorstep every evening waiting for her husband to return from the fields. But how to do it I don’t know. Yes, I must say it, but to whom? If someone will ever understand, it will surely be another like me. For example, I like to steal ripe pears from the branches if I’m hungry. But when I drink, I am ready to pay for the water, which in that land is more than the bread. Walking with that farmer who maybe walks the same road as mine, talking about eggs, talking about wine, which is still a luxury for him, who makes it. But how to do it I don’t know. Yes, I must say it, but to whom? If someone will ever understand, it will surely be another like me. For example, I like for fun to kick at a dirt clod, pass it to some kids who, around the fire, sing, play, and make war. Then I like to discover, far off, the sea, if the sky is at dusk, to follow the light of some fishing lamps and, reaching the beach, I like to sleep. But how to do it I don’t know. Yes, I must say it, but to whom? If someone will ever understand, it will surely be another like me. But how to do it I don’t know. Yes, I must say it, but to whom? If someone will ever understand, it will surely be another like me. English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser Ingresso libero (Free Entry) was Gaetano's first album. It was not particularly well received by critics or the public. The album cover shows Gaetano in motion walking past the brick facade of the first house his family lived in when they moved to Rome from Calabria; Gaetano was 9 years old at the time. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.

