|
Quando t'ho vista arrivare Bella così come sei Non mi sembrava possibile che Tra tanta gente che tu t'accorgessi di me È stato come volare Qui dentro camera mia Come nel sonno più dentro di te Io ti conosco da sempre e ti amo da mai Fai finta di non lasciarmi mai, anche se Dovrà finire prima o poi Questa lunga storia d'amore Ora è già tardi, ma è presto se tu te ne vai Fai finta che solo per noi due passerà Il tempo, ma non passerà Questa lunga storia d'amore Ora è già tardi, ma è presto se tu te ne vai È troppo tardi, ma è presto se tu te ne vai Una lunga storia d'amore © 1984, Gino Paoli |
When I saw you arrive, beautiful as you are, it didn’t seem possible that, among so many, that you would notice me. It was like flying here inside my room like in the sleep most inside of you. I’ve known you forever and I’ve loved you always. Pretend to never leave me, even if it has to end sooner or later, this long love story. Now it’s already late, but it’s early if you leave. Pretend that only for the two of us will pass time, but it won’t pass, this long love story. Now it’s already late, but it’s early if you leave. It’s too late, but it’s early if you leave. English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser "Una lunga storia d'amore" was released in 1984 on the album La luna e il Sig. Hyde, which marked the return of Paoli to the charts after seven years without publishing any new material. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
