|
Senza fine Tu trascini la nostra vita Senza un attimo di respiro Per sognare Per potere ricordare Ciò che abbiamo già vissuto Senza fine, tu sei un attimo senza fine Non hai ieri Non hai domani Tutto è ormai nelle tue mani Mani grandi Mani senza fine Non m'importa della luna Non m'importa delle stelle Tu per me sei luna e stelle Tu per me sei sole e cielo Tu per me sei tutto quanto Tutto quanto voglio avere Senza fine, tu sei un attimo senza fine Non hai ieri Non hai domani Tutto è ormai nelle tue mani Mani grandi Mani senza fine Senza fine © 1961, Gino Paoli Paoli wrote "Senza fine" for Ornella Vanoni, with whom he was romantically involved at the time. |
Everlasting, you pull our life along without a moment of rest, to dream, to be able to remember what we’ve already lived. Everlasting, you’re a moment everlasting, you don’t have yesterday, you don’t have tomorrow. Everything is now in your hands, big hands, hands everlasting. I don’t care about the moon, I don’t care about the stars, you, for me, are moon and stars, you, for me, are sun and sky, you, for me, are everything, everything I want to have. Everlasting, you are a moment everlasting, you don’t have yesterday, you don’t have tomorrow. Everything is now in your hands, big hands, hands everlasting. English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser "Senza fine" was first released by Ornella Vanoni in September of 1961. In October of the same year, Paoli included it on his eponymous first album, having just released a single later in September with an arrangement different from the album, one similar to Vanoni's. The song reached number 5 in the charts and went on to be covered by many artists, both Italian and international. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
