|
Ad essere sincero io non so Se esistono le cose Non so se vanno male o bene Se tutto è un'illusione Ad essere sincero io non so nemmeno Se anche le persone Coi loro sentimenti e la ragione Esistono davvero Io non so niente, ma mi sembra che ogni cosa Nell'aria e nella luce Debba essere felice Io non so niente, ma mi sembra che due corpi Nel buio di una stanza Debba essere esistenza E gli alberi le spiagge i cani e i gatti E strani oggetti che cito alla rinfusa Il tavolo la stanza una camicia appesa Le carte coi tarocchi e poi gli eterni scacchi Un piccolo divano E una foto di mio padre quand'era bambino E poi lo specchio rosso Su cui splende un'illusoria aurora Chissà se è mai esistito Chissà se esiste Ora Io non so niente, ma mi sembra che ogni cosa Nell'aria e nella luce Debba essere felice Io non so niente, ma mi sembra che due corpi Nel buio di una stanza Debba essere esistenza © 1984 - Giorgio Gaber (music, lyrics) and Sandro Luporini (lyrics) |
To be honest, I don’t know if things exist, I don’t know if they’re going well or poorly, if everything is an illusion. To be honest, I barely know if even people with their feelings and mind truly exist. I don’t know anything, but it seems to me that each thing in the air and in the light should be happy. I don’t know anything, but it seems to me that two bodies in the darkness of a room should be existence. And the trees, the beaches, the dogs and the cats and strange objects I cite in the garbage, the table, the room, a hanging shirt, the Tarot cards and then the eternal chess pieces, a little couch and a photo of my father when he was a kid, and then the red mirror on which glows an illusory aurora, who knows if it ever existed, who knows if it exists now. I don’t know anything, but it seems to me that each thing in the air and in the light should be happy. I don’t know anything, but it seems to me that two bodies in the darkness of a room should be existence. English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser Gaber is a studio recording released in 1984. The album marks a new, more modern sound, including the use of the Fairlight synthesizer, played by Mark Harris, who arranged the music on the album. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
