|
Pe' te me distruggo d'amore Bellezza mia Pe' te butto sangue der core Ma nun me voi Se è vero che giù nell’inferno c’è 'sto calore dovemo prega’ er Padreterno de nun c’anna’. Er letto me diventa 'n bruciore Co' 'sta callaccia La smania de baci e d'amore Più nun ce l'ho Perché, perché, Perché più nun me voi Stornello dell'estate - 1964 Ghigo De Chiara and Ennio Morricone The lyrics of "Stornello dell'estate" were written by playwright Ghigo De Chiara and set to music by Ennio Morricone for the duo Luisa and Gabriella in 1964. The live version below with Mia Martini is from a 1975 TV special on Martini. |
I’m destroying myself over love for you, my beautiful one. For you I shed my heart’s blood, but you don’t want me. If it’s true that down in hell there’s this heat, we must pray Eternal Father that we don’t go there. The bed becomes for me a fire pit with this mugginess. The yearning for kisses and love no longer do I have, because, because because no more do you want me. English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser Gabriella Ferri was released in 1966, Ferri's first album as a solo artist. About half of the songs are classics from the canzone romana tradition, and the other half were written by Ferri. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
