Monday, May 11, 2020

Nina, si voi dormite - Nina, Sleep If You Want

Nde ‘sta nottata piena de dorcezza
pare che nun esisteno dolori.
tira ‘n ber venticello ch’è ‘na carezza
smove le fronne e fa’ sboccià li fiori

Nina, si voi dormite,
sognate che io ve bacio,
ch’io v’addorcisco er sogno
cantanno adacio, adacio.
profumo de li fiori che se confonne,
cor canto mio se sperde tra le fronne

Però, si co’ ‘sto canto, io v’ho svejato,
m’aricommanno che me perdonate.
L’amore nun se frena, o Nina, amate,
che a vole’ bene, no, nun è peccato

Nina, si voi dormite,
sognate che ve bacio,
ch’io v’addorcisco er sogno
cantanno adacio, adacio.
profumo de li fiori che se confonne,
cor canto mio se sperde tra le fronne

Nina, si voi dormite - 1901 Amerigo Marino and Romolo Leonardi

"Nina, si voi dormite" won the San Giovanni Festival of Roman Song in 1901.

In this night full of sweetness,
it seems that suffering doesn’t exist.
A soft wind blows, that is a caress,
it rustles the foliage and makes the flowers bloom.

Nina, sleep if you want,
dream that I kiss you,
that I sweeten your dream
singing slowly, slowly.
The perfume of the flowers blends,
with my song one is lost amid the foliage.

However, if with this singing I have woken you,
be sure to pardon me.
Love isn’t stopped, oh Nina, love,
‘cause loving, no, is not a sin.

Nina, sleep if you want,
dream that I kiss you,
that I sweeten your dream
singing slowly, slowly.
The perfume of the flowers blends,
with my song one is lost amid the foliage.

English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser


Gabriella Ferri was released in 1966, Ferri's first album as a solo artist. About half of the songs are classics from the canzone romana tradition, and the other half were written by Ferri.