|
Quanta pena stasera.. C'e' sur fiume che fiotta" cosi' Disgraziato chi sogna e chi spera Tutti ar monno dovemo soffri' Si' c'e' n'anima che cerca la pace Puo' trovalla sortanto che qui... Er barcarolo va contro corente E quanno canta l'eco s'arisente Si' e' vero fiume che tu dai la pace Fiume affatato fammela trova'.. Piu' d'un mese e' passato Da quel giorno ch'io dissi:" A Nine'.. Quest'amore e' ormai tramontato Lei rispose: Lo vedo da me.." Sospiro', poi me disse:" addio amore.. Io pero' nun me scordo de te!" Je corsi appresso ma, nun l'arivai La cerco ancora e nun la trovo mai Si e' vero fiume che tu dai la pace Me So' pentito fammela trova'.. Proprio sotto ar battello S'ode un grido ed un tonfo piu' n la' Poi s'ariggira je fa' er mulinello Poi riaffonna e riaffiora piun la Corete e' na donna affogata Poveraccia penava chissa!? La luna da lassu' fa' capoccella Rischiara er viso de Ninetta bella Mi chiese pace ed io gliel'ho negata Fiume boiaccia je l'hai data tu!!.. Barcarolo romano - 1929 Pio Pizzicaria and Romolo Balzani "Barcarolo romano" is one of the all-time hits of the canzone romana tradition, sung by all the great interpreters - Carlo Buti, Claudio Villa, Fiorini Lando, Alvaro Amici, Gigi Proietti. Ferri was hesitant at first to take on such a warhorse, but her rendition is every bit as convincing as any other. |
How much pain this evening there is on the river that surges so. Unfortunate, whoever dreams and whoever hopes. The whole world must suffer, but if a soul searches for peace he can find it only here. The boatman goes upstream and when he sings, you hear the echo. If it’s true, river, that you give peace, enchanted river make me find it. More than a month has passed from that day when I said to Nine’ “This love has now set.” She responded, “I can see that . . .” She sighed, then told me, “Goodbye love, but I’ll never forget you!” I ran after her, but didn’t make it. I search for her still and never find her. If it’s true, river, that you give peace, I’ve repented, let me find her . . . Just under the boat comes a shout and a thud further on. Then it spins and makes a whirlpool, then sinks again and resurfaces further on. Hurry up, it’s a drowned woman, poor thing, she was suffering, who knows!? The moon from above peaks out, illuminating the face of beautiful Ninetta. She asked me for peace and I denied her of it; river, damned executioner, ‘twas given to her by you!! English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser Gabriella Ferri was released in 1966, Ferri's first album as a solo artist. About half of the songs are classics from the canzone romana tradition, and the other half were written by Ferri. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
