|
Mi votu e mi rivotu suspirannu Passu li notti 'nteri senza sonnu E li biddizzi to', iu cuntimplannu Li passu di la notti sinu a jornu Pi tia nun pozzu ora cchiù durmìri Paci nun havi cchiù 'st'affrittu cori Lu sai quannu ca iu t'haju a lassari Quannu la vita mia finisci e mori Lu sai quannu ca iu t'haju a lassari Quannu la vita mia finisci e mori Mi votu e mi rivotu suspirannu Passu li notti 'nteri senza sonnu Traditional "Mi votu e mi rivotu" was first published in an 1870 collection of popular Sicilian songs. It became one of Rosa Balistreri's most requested songs in her live concerts. |
I toss and turn sighing, I pass entire nights without sleep, and your beauties I contemplate, I pass with them from nighttime until daytime. Because of you, now I can’t sleep any more, peace this afflicted heart has no more. Do you know when I shall have to leave you? When my life ends and dies. Do you know when I shall have to leave you? When my life ends and dies. I toss and turn sighing, I pass entire nights without sleep. English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser Amore, tu lo sai, l'amore è amara (My Love, You Know, Love Is Bitter) was Balistreri's second album, released in 1972. The album was the first in a series on the Cetra label that presented traditional folkloric songs from various regions in Italy. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
