|
Cu' ti lu dissi ca t'haju a lassari Megliu la morti e no chistu duluri Ahi ahi ahi ahi, moru moru moru moru Ciatu di lu me cori, l'amuri miu sì tu Ahi ahi ahi ahi, moru moru moru moru Ciatu di lu me cori, l'amuri miu sì tu Cu' ti lu dissi a tia nicuzza Lu cori mi scricchia a picca a picca, a picca a picca Ahi ahi ahi ahi, moru moru moru moru Ciatu di lu me cori, l'amuri miu sì tu Ahi ahi ahi ahi, moru moru moru moru Ciatu di lu me cori, l'amuri miu sì tu Lu primu amuri lu fici cu tia E tu schifiusa ti stai scurdannu a mia Paci facemu oh nicaredda mia Ciatu di l'arma mia, l’amuri miu sì tu Paci facemu oh nicaredda mia Ciatu di l'arma mia, l’amuri miu sì tu Traditional |
Whoever told you that I have to leave you? Better death and not this pain. Ay, ay, ay, ay, oh me oh me oh me oh me, breath of my heart, you are my love. Ay, ay, ay, ay, oh me oh me oh me oh me, breath of my heart, you are my love. Whoever told you, little one? My heart breaks little by little, little by little. Ay, ay, ay, ay, oh me oh me oh me oh me, breath of my heart, you are my love. Ay, ay, ay, ay, oh me oh me oh me oh me, breath of my heart, you are my love. First love, I had with you, and you, fussy, are forgetting me. Let’s make peace, my little one, breath of my heart, you are my love. Let’s make peace, my little one, breath of my heart, you are my love. English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser Vinni a cantari all'ariu scuvertu (I Came to Sing in the Open Air) was Balistreri's sixth album, released in 1978. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
