|
E lu suli 'ntinni 'ntinni Chist’è l'ura di jirininni E lu suli mari mari 'U patruni nni cunta 'i dinari E lu suli vanedda vanedda Ô suprastanti cci cadi 'a vardedda E lu suli muntagni muntagni Cavuci e pugna a lu suprastanti E lu suli vadduni vadduni Cavuci e pugna a lu nostru patruni Lu suli si nn'annau E lu suli si nn'annau E lu suli si nn'annau E dumani tornerà Si mi nni vaju jù Si mi nni vaju jù E si mi nni vaju jù Cca un ci tornu cchiù nno nno La curpa l’havi to ma' La curpa l’havi to ma' La curpa l’havi to ma' Ca nun ti vosi marita’ E lu suli 'ntinni 'ntinni Chist’è l'ura di jirininni E lu suli mari mari 'U patruni nni cunta 'i dinari E lu suli vanedda vanedda Ô suprastanti cci cadi 'a vardedda E lu suli muntagni muntagni Cavuci e pugna a lu suprastanti E lu suli vadduni vadduni Cavuci e pugna a lu nostru patruni Traditional |
And the sun setting, setting, this is the hour of leaving. And the sun, sea, sea, the landowner counts out our pay. And the sun, country lane, country lane, on the overseer falls the saddle. And the sun, mountains, mountains, kicks and punches to the overseer. And the sun, valleys, valleys, kicks and punches to our landowner. The sun went away, and the sun went away, and the sun went away and tomorrow will return. If I go away, if I go away, if I go away, I’ll not return here anymore. The hit will be from your mother, the hit will be from your mother, the hit will be from your mother who wouldn’t want you to marry. And the sun setting, setting, this is the hour of leaving. And the sun, sea, sea, the landowner counts out our pay. And the sun, country lane, country lane, on the overseer falls the saddle. And the sun, mountains, mountains, kicks and punches to the overseer. And the sun, valleys, valleys, kicks and punches to our landowner. English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser Vinni a cantari all'ariu scuvertu (I Came to Sing in the Open Air) was Balistreri's sixth album, released in 1978. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
