|
Pecché quanno me vide te 'ngrife comm' 'a gatto? Nenne' che t'aggio fatto ca no mme puo' vedé? Io t' 'aggio amato tanto, si t'amo tu lo saie Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a me. Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a me. La notte tutte dormono ma io che vvuo' dormire penzanno a nnenna mia me sento ascemuli' li quarte d'ora sonano a uno, a ddoie, a ttre: Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a me. Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a mme Guardame nfaccia e bide Comme me so' arredutto Sicco, peliento e brutto Nennella mia, pe tte' Cusuto a filo duppio Cu te me vedarraje... Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a mme Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a mme Quanno so' fatto cennere, tanno mme chiagnarraje... Sempe addimmannarraje: Nennillo mio addó' è? La fossa mia tu arape e llà mme trovarraje Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a mme Io te voglio bene assaie e tu nun pienze a mme 1839 - Lyrics attributed to Raffaele Sacco, music to Filippo Campanella "Te voglio bene assaje" was the winner of the first official festival of song in Naples in 1839. Its success was so resounding that within months, more than 180,000 copies of sheet music and lyrics had been sold and the song spread far and wide in Italian cities - in short, it was a massive hit in its day. Some point to the song as the beginning of modern Italian pop songwriting, even though it is part of a tradition of songwriting in Naples that goes back centuries. |
How come when you see me you get all ruffled up like a cat? Girl, what did I do to you that you hate me so? I loved you so much, and I love you, and you know it. I love you so much and you don't think about me. I love you so much and you don't think about me. At night, everyone sleeps. But I, whom you want sleeping, thinking of my little one, I feel like going crazy. The quarter-hours sound, at one o'clock, at two o'clock, at three. I love you so much and you don't think about me. I love you so much and you don't think about me. Look me in the face and see how diminished I am: skinny, gaunt, and ugly. My girl, for you sewn with a double thread, you'll see me with you. I love you so much and you don't think about me. I love you so much and you don't think about me. When I will have turned to ash, then you will cry for me, then you will ask, "My love, where are you?" You'll open my grave and there you will find me. I love you so much and you don't think about me. I love you so much and you don't think about me. English translation © 2022 Dennis Criteser Canzone napoletana piccola enciclopedia ("Neapolitan Song Tiny Encyclopedia") was published in 2015, collecting into six CDs 80 tracks of traditional Neapolitan songs that Massimo Ranieri recorded in collaboration with producer Mauro Pagani. The arrangements are fresh with a contemporary appeal and Ranieri's voice is, as always, passionate and full of life. Pagani is a multi-instrumentalist and co-founder of the influential progressive rock band PFM, and is also well-known for producing Creuza de mä, Fabrizio De André's 1983 world fusion masterpiece. The Neapolitan Song tradition dates back centuries, but the classic period began in the 1830s. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
