Sunday, October 3, 2021

Dicitencello vuje - Tell Her So

Dicitencello a 'sta cumpagna vosta
Ch'aggio perduto 'o suonno e 'a fantasia
Ch'a penzo sempe
Ch'è tutta vita mia
I' nce 'o vvulesse dicere
Ma nun ce 'o ssaccio dí

'A voglio bene
'A voglio bene assaje!
Dicitencello vuje
Ca nun mma scordo maje
E' na passione
Cchiù forte 'e na catena
Ca mme turmenta ll'anema
E nun mme fa campá!

Dicitencello ch'è na rosa 'e maggio
Ch'è assaje cchiù bella 'e na jurnata 'e sole...
Da 'a vocca soja
Cchiù fresca de vviole
I' giá vulesse sèntere
Ch'è 'nnammurata 'e me!

'A voglio bene
'A voglio bene assaje!
Dicitencello vuje
Ca nun mma scordo maje
E' na passione
Cchiù forte 'e na catena
Ca mme turmenta l'anema
E nun mme fa campá!

Na lácrema lucente v'è caduta
Dicíteme nu poco: a che penzate?
Cu st'uocchie doce
Vuje sola mme guardate
Levámmoce 'sta maschera
Dicimmo 'a veritá

Te voglio bene
Te voglio bene assaje
Si' tu chesta catena
Ca nun se spezza maje!
Suonno gentile
Suspiro mio carnale!
Te cerco comm'a l'aria:
Te voglio pe' campá!
Te voglio pe' campá!

1930 - Rodolfo Falvo (music), Enzo Fusco (lyrics)

On "Dicitencello vuje," Ranieri is joined by Israeli singer Noa. The song was translated into English as "Tell Her I Love Her" and was covered by many American artists in the 1950s and '60s.

Tell your friend
that I lost the dream and the fantasy,
that I think of her always,
that she’s my entire life.
I’d like to tell her
but I don’t know how.

I love her,
I love her so much.
Tell her so,
that I never forget her.
It’s a passion
stronger than a chain
that torments my soul
and doesn’t let me live.

Tell her so, that she’s a rose in May,
that she is prettier still than a sunny day,
her mouth
fresher than violas.
I’d like to feel
that she’s in love with me.

I love her,
I love her so much.
Tell her so,
that I never forget her,
it’s a passion
stronger than a chain
that torments my soul
and doesn’t let me live.

A glistening tear fell on you,
tell me a little – what are you thinking?
With these sweet eyes
you only look at me.
Let’s lift up this mask,
let’s tell the truth.

I love you,
I love you so much.
You are the chain
that never breaks.
Gentle sleep,
my sensual sigh,
I search for you like the air,
I want you, to live!
I want you, to live!

English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser


Canzone napoletana piccola enciclopedia ("Neapolitan Song Tiny Encyclopedia") was published in 2015, collecting into six CDs 80 tracks of traditional Neapolitan songs that Massimo Ranieri recorded in collaboration with producer Mauro Pagani. The arrangements are fresh with a contemporary appeal and Ranieri's voice is, as always, passionate and full of life. Pagani is a multi-instrumentalist and co-founder of the influential progressive rock band PFM, and is also well-known for producing Creuza de mä, Fabrizio De André's 1983 world fusion masterpiece. The Neapolitan Song tradition dates back centuries, but the classic period began in the 1830s.