|
Ah! Che bell'aria fresca... Ch'addore 'e malvarosa... E tu durmenno staje, 'ncopp'a sti ffronne 'e rosa! 'O sole, a poco a poco, pe' stu ciardino sponta... 'o viento passa e vasa stu ricciulillo 'nfronte! I' te vurría vasá... I' te vurría vasá... ma 'o core nun mm''o ddice 'e te scetá... 'e te scetá!... I' mme vurría addurmí... I' mme vurría addurmí... vicino ô sciato tujo, n'ora pur'i'... n'ora pur'i'!... Sento stu core tujo ca sbatte comm'a ll'onne! Durmenno, angelo mio, chisà tu a chi te suonne... 'A gelusia turmenta stu core mio malato: Te suonne a me?...Dimméllo! O pure suonne a n'ato? I' te vurría vasá... I' te vurría vasá... ma 'o core nun mm''o ddice 'e te scetá... 'e te scetá!... I' mme vurría addurmí... I' mme vurría addurmí... vicino ô sciato tujo, n'ora pur'i'... n'ora pur'i'!... I' mme vurría addurmí... I' mme vurría addurmí... vicino ô sciato tujo, n'ora pur'i'... n'ora pur'i'!... 1900 - Mario Pasquale Costa (music), Salvatore Di Giacomo (lyrics) |
Ah, what fine, fresh air . . . what scent of the hollyhock . . . and you are sleeping on these rose leaves. The sun, little by little, shines on this garden . . . the wind passes and kisses this little curl on your forehead! I’d like to kiss you . . . I’d like to kiss you . . . but my heart can’t bear to wake you . . . to wake you! I’d like to fall asleep . . . I’d like to fall asleep . . . next to your breath, an hour also for me . . . an hour also for me! I hear this heart of yours that beats like the waves while you sleep, my angel, who knows of whom you dream . . . Jealousy torments this ailing heart of mine: Are you dreaming of me? Tell me! Or do you dream of another? I’d like to kiss you . . . I’d like to kiss you . . . but my heart can’t bear to wake you . . . to wake you! I’d like to fall asleep . . . I’d like to fall asleep . . . next to your breath, an hour also for me . . . an hour also for me! I’d like to fall asleep . . . I’d like to fall asleep . . . next to your breath, an hour also for me . . . an hour also for me! English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser Canzone napoletana piccola enciclopedia ("Neapolitan Song Tiny Encyclopedia") was published in 2015, collecting into six CDs 80 tracks of traditional Neapolitan songs that Massimo Ranieri recorded in collaboration with producer Mauro Pagani. The arrangements are fresh with a contemporary appeal and Ranieri's voice is, as always, passionate and full of life. Pagani is a multi-instrumentalist and co-founder of the influential progressive rock band PFM, and is also well-known for producing Creuza de mä, Fabrizio De André's 1983 world fusion masterpiece. The Neapolitan Song tradition dates back centuries, but the classic period began in the 1830s. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
