|
A mezzogiorno suona la sirena E lei come ogni giorno è lì che aspetta lui Tra qualche attimo son tutti fuori già Tre quarti d'ora e si riprenderà Suona una radio lì vicino Qualcuno chiama un ragazzino La strada è vuota, c'è un po' di sole Tutto si ferma per un po'... "Sei qui da molto?" "No, sono appena arrivata." "Sei così bella." "Ma dài! Sono così conciata!" "Cos'hai portato?" "Cos'ho portato non si sa! "Hai proprio fame, vieni mettiamoci più in là." A mezzogiorno suona la sirena E lei come ogni giorno siede accanto a lui Lui la accarezza e poi la stringe forte a sé Apre la borsa e guarda cosa c'è Insieme mangiano sul prato Quello che lei gli ha preparato Poco lontano un aeroplano Lascia una striscia e se ne va... "Come mi piaci, sai cosa mi viene in mente…" "Ma dai stai buono, non vedi che c'è gente?" "Ma non capisci che se ne infischiano di noi." "Ti aspetto a casa, ma torna subito se puoi." Ancora un attimo, un bacio e se ne andrà E la sirena ancora suonerà Alcuni giocano a pallone Mangiando l'ultimo boccone Sul prato verde qualche giornale Che ora il vento muove un po' © 1971 - Giorgio Gaber (music, lyrics) and Sandro Luporini (lyrics) |
At midday the siren sounds and she, like every day, is there waiting for him. Within a few moments everyone is outside already. Three quarters of an hour and it will be back to usual. A radio is playing nearby. Someone calls a young boy. The street is empty, there’s a bit of sun, everything stops for a while . . . “Have you been here long?” “No, I just arrived.” “You’re so beautiful.” “Oh come on! I am so beaten up!” “What have you brought?” “What I brought is unknown!” “You’re just hungry, come, let’s get set up over there.” At midday the siren sounds and she, like every day, sits next to him. He hugs her and then holds her tight to himself. He opens the bag and looks to see what’s there. Together they eat on the lawn what she prepared for him. Not that far off an airplane leaves a stripe and is gone . . . “How I like you, do you know what comes to mind . . .” “Come on, be good, don’t you see there are people?” “But don’t you understand they could care less about us.” “I’ll wait for you at home, but come back soon if you can.” Just a quick moment, a kiss and he’ll be gone and the siren will still sound. Some play soccer, eating the last bite, on the green lawn some newspapers that now the wind moves a little. English translation © 2024 Dennis Criteser I borghesi (The Bourgeoisie) is a studio recording released in December, 1971. It includes songs that were presented in Gaber's second annual theatrical tour in 1972. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
