|
Je so' pazzo, je so' pazzo E voglio essere chi vogl'io Ascite fora d''a casa mia Je so' pazzo, je so' pazzo C'ho il popolo che mi aspetta E scusate vado di fretta Non mi date sempre ragione Io lo so che sono un errore Nella vita voglio vivere Almeno un giorno da leone E lo Stato questa volta Non mi deve condannare Pecché so' pazzo Je so' pazzo Ed oggi voglio parlare Je so' pazzo, je so' pazzo Si se 'ntosta 'a nervatura Metto a tutti 'nfaccia 'o muro Je so' pazzo, je so' pazzo E chi dice che Masaniello Poi negro non sia più bello? E non sono menomato Sono pure diplomato E la faccia nera l'ho dipinta Per essere notato Masaniello è crisciuto Masaniello è turnato Je so' pazzo Je so' pazzo Nun ce scassate 'o cazzo! Je so' pazzo © 1979 Pino Daniele "Je so' pazzo" was the hit of the album. Masaniello is a storied figure in the history of Naples. A fisherman/smuggler, he led a successful revolt against the Spanish ruler of Naples in 1647 that resulted in a very brief reprieve from the heavy taxation in place to prop up the sagging Spanish empire. Within a week of his success, Masaniello began exhibiting crazy and unstable behavior, the public turned against him, and he was assassinated. |
I’m crazy, I’m crazy, and I want to be whoever I want going out from my house. I’m crazy, I’m crazy, I’ve got people waiting for me, and excuse me, I’m in a hurry. Don’t tell me I’m always right, I know that I am a mistake. In life I want to live at least for one day as a lion, and the State this time should not condemn me because I’m crazy. I’m crazy and today I want to speak. I’m crazy, I’m crazy, if they get on my nerves I’ll put them all face against the wall. I’m crazy, I’m crazy, and who says that Masaniello, then black, isn’t more handsome? And I’m not crippled, I am indeed a graduate and the black face I painted to get noticed. Masaniello grew up, Masaniello came back. I’m crazy, I’m crazy, don’t fuck with me! English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser Pino Daniele was Daniele's second album, released in 1979. The song “Je so' pazzo” became a radio hit and brought wider recognition to Daniele. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
