|
Nessun poeta mai ci canterà La storia di un amore che non può finire Anche se adesso tu Fra le mie braccia non ci sei Ma dove sei? Ma dove sei? Non vivo senza te Le cose tue sono rimaste qui Mi parlano di te E dei peccati miei Ma dove sei? Ma dove sei? Non vivo senza te Ma tu lo sai che morirei Piuttosto che... Elemosinare i baci tuoi Amare io non potrei Senza te io non potrei mai Non esistono Gli altri senza di te Se non ci sei In che lingua parlando neanche più so (- Cosa sta succedendo? - E che cazzo ne so io!) Senza me tu non reggi A chi vorrai sembrar bella Di nessuno t'importerà Quel che dici tu lo sai però Senza dubbio non reggo Ma tu sarai uno straccio Già ti vedo Ti vedo già Di chi sarai? Chi bacerai? A chi tu morderai Le labbra sue come facevi a me? Ma davvero Non può finire una storia così Una storia così Sarai uno straccio © 1999 Adriano Celentano, Marco Vaccaro |
No poet will ever sing to us the story of a love that cannot end, even if now you aren’t there between my arms. But where are you? But where are you? I don’t live without you, your things remain her, they talk to me of you and of my transgressions. But where are you? But where are you? I don’t live without you, but you know that I would die rather than . . . beg for your kisses. Loving I could not do, without you I couldn’t ever. They don’t exist, the others without you. If you’re not there, I don’t know what language you’re speaking. (“What’s going on?” “And what the fuck do I know!”) Without me you can’t handle it. To whom do you want to look beautiful? You won’t care about anyone. What you say, you know, but without a doubt I can’t handle it. But you’ll be a rag, I already see you, I see you already. Whose will you be? Whom will you kiss? To whom will you bite their lips like you did to me? But really, a story like this cannot end, a story like this. English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser Io non so parlar d'amore was Celentano's first collaboration with the celebrated lyricist Mogol and Gianni Bella for the music on most of the songs. Released in 1999, the album remained in the charts for two years and is one of the most successful of his long career. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
