|
Staje luntana da 'stu core A te volo cu 'o penziero Niente voglio e niente spero Ca tenerte sempe a fianco a me Si sicura 'e chist'ammore Comm'ij so' sicuro 'e te... Oje vita, oje vita mia Oje core 'e chistu core Si stata 'o primmo ammore E 'o primmo e ll'ùrtemo sarraje pe' me! Quanta notte nun te veco Nun te sento 'int' a 'sti bbracce Nun te vaso chesta faccia Nun t'astregno fortе 'mbraccio a me? Ma scetannemе 'a 'sti suonne Mme faje chiagnere pe' te... Oje vita, oje vita mia Oje core 'e chistu core Si stata 'o primmo ammore E 'o primmo e ll'ùrtemo sarraje pe' me! Scrive sempe 'e sta cuntenta Io nun penzo che a te sola Nu penziero mme cunzola Ca tu pienze sulamente a me 'A cchiù bella 'e tutt' 'e bbelle Nun è mai cchiù bella 'e te! Oje vita, oje vita mia Oje core 'e chistu core Si stata 'o primmo ammore E 'o primmo e ll'ùrtemo sarraje pe' me! 1915 - Enrico Cannio (music), Aniello Califano (lyrics) |
You’re a long way from this heart, to you I fly with my thoughts, I want nothing and I hope for nothing but to hold you always next to me! You’re certain of this love as I am certain of you . . . Oh life, oh my life, oh heart of this heart, you were my first love, and the first and the last will you be for me! How many nights have I not seen you, have I not felt you between these arms, have I not kissed this face, have I not held you in my strong embrace? But, waking up from these dreams, you make me cry for you . . . Oh life, oh my life, oh heart of this heart, you were my first love, and the first and the last will you be for me! You always write and you’re content: I don’t think but of you alone, one thought consoles me, that you think only of me! The most beautiful of all the beautiful ones, no one has ever been more beautiful than you! Oh life, oh my life, oh heart of this heart, you were my first love, and the first and the last will you be for me! English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser oggi o dimane ("today or tomorrow"), published in 2001, is the first of a trilogy of albums Massimo Ranieri singing traditional Neapolitan songs, produced by Mauro Pagani. The arrangements are fresh with a contemporary appeal and Ranieri's voice is, as always, passionate and full of life. Pagani is a multi-instrumentalist and co-founder of the influential progressive rock band PFM, and is also well-known for producing Creuza de mä, Fabrizio De André's 1983 world music fusion masterpiece. The Neapolitan Song tradition dates back centuries, but the classic period began in the 1830s. Ranieri and Pagani later produced a 6-CD box set Canzone napoletana piccola enciclopedia, published in 2015. Ranieri's live performances of these songs are a pleasure to see, showing off his dancing and theatrical skills. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
