Monday, November 15, 2021

'E spíngule francese - French Brooches

Nu juorno mme ne jètte da la casa,
jènno vennenno spíngule francese...
Mme chiamma na figliola: "Trase, trase,
quanta spíngule daje pe' nu turnese?"
Mme chiamma na figliola: "Trase, trase,
quanta spíngule daje pe' nu turnese?

Dich'io: "Si tu mme daje tre o quatto vase,
te dóngo tutt''e spíngule francese...
Pízzeche e vase nun fanno purtóse
e puo' ghiénchere 'e spíngule 'o paese...
e puo' ghiénchere 'e spíngule 'o paese...

Io, che sóngo nu poco veziuso,
sùbbeto mme 'mmuccaje dint'a 'sta casa...
"Ah, chi vò belli spingule francese!
Ah, chi vò belli spingule, ah, chi vò?!

Io, che sóngo nu poco veziuso,
sùbbeto mme 'mmuccaje dint'a 'sta casa...
Ah, chi vò belli spingule francese!
Ah, chi vò belli spingule ah, chi vò!?"

Dicette: "Bellu mio, chist'è 'o paese,
ca, si te prore 'o naso, muore acciso!"
Dicette: "Bellu mio, chist'è 'o paese,
ca, si te prore 'o naso, muore acciso!"

E i rispunnette: "Agge pacienza, scusa...
'a tengo 'a 'nnammurata e sta ô paese..."
E i rispunnette: "Agge pacienza, scusa...
'a tengo 'a 'nnammurata e sta ô paese...
'A tengo 'a 'nnammurata e sta ô paese...

E tene 'a faccia comm''e ffronne 'e rosa,
e tene 'a vocca comm'a na cerasa...
Ah, chi vò belli spîngule francese!
Ah, chi vò belli spíngule, ah, chi vò'?! x2

E tene 'a faccia comm''e ffronne 'e rosa,
e tene 'a vocca comm'a na cerasa...
Ah, chi vò belli spîngule francese!
Ah, chi vò belli spíngule, ah, chi vò'?! x2

1888 - Enrico De Leva (music), Salvatore Di Giacomo (lyric)

Mauro Pagani's musical arrangement fuses classical Naples with classical African griot, using the west African kora with additional vocals by the Senegalese griot Badara Seck (wish I could find the lyrics to his outro!).

One day I left home,
I was going selling French brooches . . .
A young girl called me. “Come in, come in,
how many brooches do you give for a tornesel?”
A young girl called me. “Come in, come in,
how many brooches do you give for a tornesel?”

Said I: “If you give me three or four kisses,
I’ll give you all the French brooches . . .
Pinches and kisses don’t make holes
and you can fill the country with brooches . . .
and you can fill the country with brooches . . .

I, who am a little naughty,
immediately went into this house . . .
“Ah, who wants fine French brooches!
Ah, who wants fine brooches, ah, who wants?!”

I, who am a little naughty,
immediately went into this house . . .
“Ah, who wants fine French brooches!
Ah, who wants fine brooches, ah, who wants?!”

She said, “My dear, this is a place
where, if you scratch your nose, you’ll get killed!”
She said, “My dear, this is a place
where, if you scratch your nose, you’ll get killed!”

And I responded, “Be patient, excuse me . . .
I have a girlfriend and she stays in the country . . .”
And I responded, “Be patient, excuse me . . .
I have a girlfriend and she stays in the country . . .
I have a girlfriend and she stays in the country . . .

And she has a face like the leaves of a rose,
and she has a mouth like a cherry . . .
Ah, who wants fine French brooches!
Ah, who wants fine brooches, ah, who wants?! x2

And she has a face like the leaves of a rose,
and she has a mouth like a cherry . . .
Ah, who wants fine French brooches!
Ah, who wants fine brooches, ah, who wants?! x2

English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser


oggi o dimane ("today or tomorrow"), published in 2001, is the first of a trilogy of albums Massimo Ranieri singing traditional Neapolitan songs, produced by Mauro Pagani. The arrangements are fresh with a contemporary appeal and Ranieri's voice is, as always, passionate and full of life. Pagani is a multi-instrumentalist and co-founder of the influential progressive rock band PFM, and is also well-known for producing Creuza de mä, Fabrizio De André's 1983 world music fusion masterpiece. The Neapolitan Song tradition dates back centuries, but the classic period began in the 1830s. Ranieri and Pagani later produced a 6-CD box set Canzone napoletana piccola enciclopedia, published in 2015. Ranieri's live performances of these songs are a pleasure to see, showing off his dancing and theatrical skills.