|
Oje né', fa' priesto viene! Nun mme fá spantecá... Ca pure 'a rezza vène Ch'a mare stó' a mená... Méh, stienne sti bbraccelle Ajutame a tirá... Ca stu marenariello Te vò' sempe abbracciá Vicin'ô mare Facimmo 'ammore A core a core Pe' nce spassá... Só' marenaro E tiro 'a rezza: Ma, pallerezza Stóngo a murí... Oje né', io tiro 'a rezza E tu statte a guardá... Li pisce, pa prijezza Comme stanno a zumpá!... E vide, pure 'e stelle Tu faje annammurá... Ca stu marenariello Tu faje suspirá... Vicin'ô mare Facimmo 'ammore A core a core Pe' nce spassá... Só' marenaro E tiro 'a rezza: Ma, pallerezza Stóngo a murí... 1893 - Gennaro Ottaviano (music), Salvatore Gambardella (lyrics) |
Oh girl, quick, come! Don’t make me pine . . . ‘cause even the net comes that I’m about to throw in the sea. Come on, extend these arms, help me to pull . . . ‘cause this young seaman always wants to hug you. Near to the sea, let’s make love, heart to heart, to enjoy ourselves . . . I’m a seaman and I pull the net: But, for joy, I am dying. Oh girl, I’m pulling the net and you’re there watching . . . the fish, for joy, who they’re jumping! And look, even the stars make you fall in love . . . ‘cause this young seaman you make him breathe . . . Near to the sea, let’s make love, heart to heart, to enjoy ourselves . . . I’m a seaman and I pull the net: But, for joy, I am dying . . . English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser oggi o dimane ("today or tomorrow"), published in 2001, is the first of a trilogy of albums Massimo Ranieri singing traditional Neapolitan songs, produced by Mauro Pagani. The arrangements are fresh with a contemporary appeal and Ranieri's voice is, as always, passionate and full of life. Pagani is a multi-instrumentalist and co-founder of the influential progressive rock band PFM, and is also well-known for producing Creuza de mä, Fabrizio De André's 1983 world music fusion masterpiece. The Neapolitan Song tradition dates back centuries, but the classic period began in the 1830s. Ranieri and Pagani later produced a 6-CD box set Canzone napoletana piccola enciclopedia, published in 2015. Ranieri's live performances of these songs are a pleasure to see, showing off his dancing and theatrical skills. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
