|
T'hoo compraa i calzett de seda con la riga nera (nera) Te caminavet insemma a mi come ona pantera Ti su del basell, mi giò del basell, se l'era bell Ti senza capell, mi cont el capell, 'me s'eri bell Caminavom semper insemma. La gent che la passava, la se voltava, la ghe guardava, la diseva: "Ma va' quel lì, el gh'ha compraa anca la stola, el dev vess on poeu on pistòla" Quel pistòla seri mi... T'hoo vist, pover Crist, inciodaa su quatr'assit Anca mi me sont vist inciodaa su quatr'assit Come ti, pegg de ti, anca mi me sont vist inciodaa, rinciodaa, come on pover Crist Te scareghi ogni sera in Piazza Beccaria Li te mostret de sott banch la tò mercanzia Ti sul marciapè, mi denter el cafè di rocketee Ti a fà-sù i danee, mi a spend i danee coi rocketee Tutt i volt che semm insemma ghe semper on quai d'un, tacaa in d'on canton, che 'l me guarda, el me guarda e me dis: "uè, va' quel lì, el gh'ha la dòna che la ròla, el dev vess on poeu on pistòla" Aah? Saria mi el pistòla? El pistòla te see ti Te gh'hee la miee de mantegnì Aah? Saria mi el pistòla? El pistòla te see ti Te lavoret tutt el dì Aah? Saria mi el pistòla? Te see ti el pistòla... T'hoo compraa i calzett de seda © 1964 Enzo Jannacci and Dario Fo |
I bought you silk stockings with the black line, you walked with me like a panther. You at the top of the stairs, me down from the stairs, like it was beautiful! You without a hat, me with a hat on like I was beautiful! We always walked together. The people passing us by turned to us, looked at us and said, “But look at him there, he even bought her a stole, he must be a bit of a clueless naif.” That clueless naif was I . . . I saw you, poor Christ, nailed on four axes, I even saw myself nailed on four axes just like you, worse than you, I even saw myself nailed nailed again, like a poor Christ. I dumped you off every night in Plaza Beccaria where you show under the table your merchandise, you on the sidewalk, me inside the café of the pimps, you earning the money, me spending the money with the pimps. All the times we’re together there is always someone in some of the cantons who looks at me, looks at me and tells me, “Look at him there, he has the woman who pounds the pavement - he must be a clueless naif." Ah, would I be the clueless naif? The clueless naif would be you. You have the wife to maintain. Ah, me the clueless naif? Clueless naif would be you. You work all day long. Ah, would I be the clueless naif? You would be the clueless naif . . . English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser La milano di Enzo Jannacci was released in 1964. Most of the songs are in the local dialect of Milan. Jannacci studied music at the Milan Conservatory, and he subsequently fell in love with jazz, and played piano with Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, and Chet Baker. He also was part of the early rock 'n' roll scene in Italy, playing in Adriano Celentano's Rock Boys in 1957 and then forming his own duo with Giorgio Gaber in 1959, I Due Corsari. He really found his artistic voice when he started performing at the famed Derby Club in Milan in 1963, collaborating with others (like Dario Fo) in a very vibrant and diverse creative scene. This first album, reflecting cabaret and French chanson influences, is a real gem and was followed by a couple dozen more over the subsequent decades. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.

