|
Quel dì che gh'è rivaa la posta m'è paru gnanca vera de sentimm a ciamà... Me scriv: "Qui tutto bene; e ti?..." E mi... e mi sunt chi; sunt chi senza de ti! La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. Te diset che te gh'ét la tuss; d'i fioeu che vegnen grand... la mama, la gh'è pü. Che me fradèll l'è propri bùn: el pensa lü a tuss' coss... Sunt chi senza de ti! La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. T'hoo scritt che sont restaa ferì: te m'hee mandà on turrùn, tri fett de panettùn. Mi, no... voeuri pensà no che ti... e quel là... ch'el s'è imboscà... Sunt chi senza de ti! La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. Domani... assalto! L'è el gran dì! ...ma chi capissen no che semm dree andà a morì. T'hoo scritt: "Te voeuri ben. E ti?" Sunt chì, senza de ti... 'sa m'interessa, a mi! La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. Senza di te © 1964 Enzo Jannacci |
That day the mail arrived, it didn’t even seem real to feel I was being called. You wrote, “Here everything’s fine, and you?” And I, and I, and I am here, I’m here without you. La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. You say you have a cough, talk of kids growing older, your mother is no longer, and my brother is pretty good: he thinks of everything . . . I’m here without you. La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. I told you that I was injured: you sent me a nougat, three slices of panettone. I don’t want to think that you and that one there . . . that’s holed up . . . I’m here without you. La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. Tomorrow I assault: it’s the big day. But here they don’t understand that we are going to die. I wrote you, “I love you, and you?” I’m here without you: what do I care. La, la, la, la,la, la, la, la, la, la,la, la. English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser La milano di Enzo Jannacci was released in 1964. Most of the songs are in the local dialect of Milan. Jannacci studied music at the Milan Conservatory, and he subsequently fell in love with jazz, and played piano with Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, and Chet Baker. He also was part of the early rock 'n' roll scene in Italy, playing in Adriano Celentano's Rock Boys in 1957 and then forming his own duo with Giorgio Gaber in 1959, I Due Corsari. He really found his artistic voice when he started performing at the famed Derby Club in Milan in 1963, collaborating with others (like Dario Fo) in a very vibrant and diverse creative scene. This first album, reflecting cabaret and French chanson influences, is a real gem and was followed by a couple dozen more over the subsequent decades. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
