Thursday, January 2, 2020

Per un basin - For a Kiss

Sabato sera di tanti anni fa
Avevi faa on gir s'eri dree a tornà a cà
Quando ho sentito ona musica andà
Da on post ciamaa la Balera di Fraa
Mi sono sentito qui dentro bruciare perchè...
Ma alora gh'avevi vint ann

Per on basin mi soo nò ma quella sera
Avria daa la vita intera propri inscì
Per on basin frin, frin
Per on basin mi saria partii soldato
Saria andato a Como in moto
Poeu saria tornaa a cà a pee

Ingresso "on franch" non è caro de bon
De la giachetta me manca on botton
Mi scappa l'occhio vesin ai calzon
Te vedet nò che te gh'et su i scarpon
Che cosa importa se già me ridevan adree
Ormai se poeu puu tornà indree

Per on basin mi soo nò ma quella sera
Avria daa la vita intera propri inscì
Per on basin frin, frin
Per on basin mi saria partii soldato
Saria andato a Como in moto
Poeu saria tornaa a cà a pee

Passa mezz'ora sonava 'l violin
Contegno... Giò on alter bicer de vin
Me guardi in gir gh'era tanti tosann
Ma non è facile andà sù a ballà
Mi s'eri sù e gh'avevi vergogna a cercà
"Lei balla?" "Soltanto fox-trot"

Per on basin mi soo nò ma quella sera
Avria daa la vita intera propri inscì
Per on basin frin, frin
Per on basin mi saria partii soldato
Saria andato a Como in moto
Poeu saria tornaa a cà a pee

Taca l'orchestra a sonà on polveron
Tutti i moment la me guarda i scarpon
On bell moment me son faa visin
Lei, signorina, la me da on basin?
Ferma l'orchestra, ghe riva anca i carabinier
Gh'è vun che me 'l sgagna anca on pee

Per on basin domandato quella sera
M'hann casciaa da la balera
M'hann trattaa come on vilan frin, fran
Per on basin, roba senza risultato
M'hann consciato in uno stato
Se ricordi ancamò adess
Lalalala...
Per on basin, roba senza risultato
M'hann consciato in uno stato
Se ricordi ancamò adess

Per un bacin © 1964 Enzo Jannacci



Saturday evening so many years ago
I went out, I was returning home,
when I heard music emanating
from a place called “Friars Dance Hall.”
I felt it burning here inside, because . . .
but I was twenty, then.

For a kiss, I dunno, but that evening
I'd have given my entire life,
just like that, for a kiss, frin frin;
for a kiss I would have left as a soldier,
I'd have gone to Como by motorcycle,
then would've returned home on foot.

Admission, one lira, it’s not very expensive.
I’m missing a jacket button;
my eyes looked down near my pants.
“Don’t you see that you have boots on?”
What’s it matter if they were already mocking me:
there's no turning back now.

For a kiss, I dunno, but that evening
I'd have given my entire life,
just like that, for a kiss, frin frin;
for a kiss I would have left as a soldier,
I'd have gone to Como by motorcycle,
then would've returned home on foot.

A half-hour passed, the violin played;
restraint . . . down another glass of wine.
I see myself out there, there were lots of girls,
but it’s not easy to get out on the dance floor and dance:
I was alone and ashamed to try.
“Do you dance?” “Only the fox-trot.”

For a kiss, I dunno, but that evening
I'd have given my entire life,
just like that, for a kiss, frin frin;
for a kiss I would have left as a soldier,
I'd have gone to Como by motorcycle,
then would've returned home on foot.

The orchestra attacked and played up a storm,
she continued to look at my boots.
At a certain point I did it, up close:
“Miss, would you give me a kiss?”
The orchestra stops, even the carabinieri arrived,
there was one of them that even bit my foot . . .

For a kiss requested that evening,
they kicked me out of the dance hall,
they treated me like a villain, frin fran.
For a kiss, a thing that came to nothing,
they beat me into a state . . .
I remember it now still.

For a kiss, a thing that came to nothing,
they beat me into a state . . .
I remember it now still.

English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser



La milano di Enzo Jannacci was released in 1964. Most of the songs are in the local dialect of Milan. Jannacci studied music at the Milan Conservatory, and he subsequently fell in love with jazz, and played piano with Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, and Chet Baker. He also was part of the early rock 'n' roll scene in Italy, playing in Adriano Celentano's Rock Boys in 1957 and then forming his own duo with Giorgio Gaber in 1959, I Due Corsari. He really found his artistic voice when he started performing at the famed Derby Club in Milan in 1963, collaborating with others (like Dario Fo) in a very vibrant and diverse creative scene. This first album, reflecting cabaret and French chanson influences, is a real gem and was followed by a couple dozen more over the subsequent decades.