|
Il mio sguardo vide i suoi passi allontanarsi per sempre sulla sabbia e fu l’ultima volta, l’ultima volta che la vidi L’ultima volta che la vidi mi chiese di fermare il tempo e mi dette uno scrigno pieno di comete. Io non posso ormai più andare tra i sorrisi della gente né chiedere alle cose un posto in mezzo a loro. L’ultima volta che la vidi mi chiese di fermare il tempo e mi dette una mano piena di carezze. Fu una lacrima candida e lunga che cadendo sopra un fiore mi fece ricordare che se bianco è bianco e nero è nero in questa vita io sono uno straniero. Senza di lei il giorno non ha né alba né tramonto l’arcobaleno e gli usignoli sono ormai cose perdute…. Fu una lacrima candida e lunga che cadendo sopra un fiore mi fece ricordare che se bianco è bianco e nero è nero in questa vita io sono uno straniero. Ed ogni sera ritornano su quella spiaggia processioni di stelle come l’ultima volta che la vidi. L'ultima volta che la vidi © 1961 Piero Ciampi, Gianfranco Reverberi |
My gaze saw her steps moving away forever on the sand and it was the last time, the last time I saw her. The last time I saw her she asked me to stop time and she gave me a treasure chest full of comets. I can no longer go now among the smiles of the people, nor ask of things a place in their midst. The last time I saw her she asked me to stop time and she gave me a hand full of caresses. ‘Twas a teardrop pure and long that, falling on a flower, made me remember that if white is white and black is black, in this life I am an outsider. Without her, the day has neither dawn nor sunset. The rainbow and the nightingales are by now things lost . . . ‘Twas a teardrop pure and long that, falling on a flower, made me remember that if white is white and black is black, in this life I am a stranger. And every night, they return over that beach, processions of stars, like the last time I saw her. English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser "L'ultima volta che la vidi" was the second single released by Ciampi, on the Bluebell label in 1961, when he went by the pseudonym Piero Litaliano. Ciampi was invited to Milan and hooked up with the label by Gianfranco Reverberi, whom Ciampi met during their military service. Reverberi was also responsible for bringing Luigi Tenco, Gino Pauli, and Fabrizio De André to Milan to start their recording careers. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
