|
Tu, fatina che non vidi mai Tu sei stata regina del regno Che un giorno sognai E tu, mio caro vecchio albero Tu sei stato il castello d'un regno E neppure lo sai Un regno con un solo soldato Che cercava le streghe Voleva cacciarle a sassate; Un regno che ogni giorno viveva Di mille e mille e mille "c'era una volta" Se non m'avessero detto mai Che le fiabe son storie non vere Ora là io sarei Un regno con un solo soldato Che cercava le streghe Voleva cacciarle a sassate; Un regno che ogni giorno viveva Di mille e mille e mille "c'era una volta" Se non m'avessero detto mai Che le fiabe son storie non vere Ora là io sarei Il mio regno © 1961 Luigi Tenco "Il mio regno" was first released as a single in 1961. What a difference an arrangement can make! The album version was arranged by Giampiero Boneschi, who was responsible for six of the ten songs on this album. |
You, fairy that I never saw, you were queen of the kingdom that I dreamed one day. And you, my dear old tree, you were the castle of a kingdom and you didn’t even know it. A kingdom with a single soldier who searched for witches – he wanted to chase them away with stones; a kingdom that lived every day on a thousand and a thousand and a thousand “once upon a time”s – if they hadn’t ever told me that fables are stories untrue, I’d be there now. A kingdom with a single soldier who searched for witches – he wanted to chase them away with stones; a kingdom that lived every day on a thousand and a thousand and a thousand “once upon a time”s – if they hadn’t ever told me that fables are stories untrue, I’d be there now. English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser Luigi Tenco was Tenco's first solo album, released in 1962 after a handful of singles that came out from 1959-1961. The songs have a very 1950s feel, with smooth and sophisticated orchestral arrangements typical of those crafted for other early-1960s crooners. Rolling Stone lists this album as #22 of the top 100 best Italian albums ever. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
