Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Amore amore... un corno! - Love, Love . . . Hell No!

Amore amore amore, amore... un corno!
Mi giri intorno solo quando vuoi
Torni proprio quando tu non puoi più stare solo
Io scema che ci casco e ti consolo

Amore amore amore, amore... un corno!
Se poi quando fa giorno te ne vai
E chissà se ti sei chiesto mai perché ti aspetto
Ti servo solamente dentro il letto

Mentre io spero ancora in qualcosa di vero
Un amore sincero che non mi dai
Mentre io spero ancora che tu cambi
Io ho perso il gusto di questa vita
E penso spesso di farla finita
E penso che questa è l’ultima volta
Che da domani per te sarò un’altra
Che da domani per te sarò un’altra
Sempre domani
...ed intanto sei tu che mi chiedi di più
E lo chiedi perché io ti amo,
io ti amo, io ti amo

Torni proprio quando tu non puoi più stare solo
Io scema che ci casco e ti consolo
Ti consolo e ti parlo dell’amore di ieri
Tu con i tuoi pensieri non badi a me
Ti consolo e ti parlo, ma tu niente
Io no, non posso più andare avanti
Sai che di uomini ce ne son tanti
E vorrei tanto gridarti: “Va’ via!”
E poter dire una volta la mia
E vorrei tanto gridarti: “Va’ via!”
Non andar via!
Non lasciarmi così, sola che faccio qui?
Non lasciarmi perché io ti amo
Io ti amo, io ti amo

Amore amore . . . un corno! © 1971 Claudio Baglioni and Antonio Coggi



Love love love, love . . . hell no!
You spin me around only when you want to,
you come back just when you can’t be alone anymore.
Foolish me who falls for it and consoles you.

Love love love, love . . . hell no!
If you then go away when day breaks
and who knows if you ever ask yourself why I wait for you.
I serve you only inside the bed.

While I still hope for something true,
a sincere love that you're not giving me,
while I still hope that you’ll change,
I’ve lost the gusto for this life
and think often of ending it,
and I think this is the last time,
that from tomorrow on, for you I’ll be another,
that from tomorrow on, for you I’ll be another.
Always tomorrow
. . . and instead it’s you who asks me for more,
and you ask for it because I love you,
I love you, I love you.

You come back right when you can’t be alone anymore.
Foolish me who falls for it and consoles you.
I console you and tell you about old loves,
you with your thoughts pay me no attention.
I console you, I talk to you, but you, nothing.
I, no, I can’t go forward anymore.
You know that there are plenty of men,
and I’d like so much to shout at you, “Go away!"
and to be able to say just once my piece.
And I’d like so much to shout at you, “Go away!”
Don’t go away!
Don’t leave me like this, alone, what do I do here?
Don’t leave me because I love you,
I love you, I love you.

English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser


Oltre la collina (Beyond the Hill) was Mia Martini's debut album, as well as the debut of her nom de plum (she was born Domenica Rita Adriana Bertè and her previous singles were released under Mimì Bertè). The album treats a number of heavy topics - suicide, spirituality, sexual violence, illness - and Italy wasn't ready for an album so direct, emotionally honest, and dark. The album suffered poor sales, but stands out as a bold statement and testament to Martini's lifelong desire to sing only material that she could personally connect with. She was, at the time, a sort of Gypsy-hippie recreating herself and escaping from the emotional subjugation that traditional southern Italian culture could inflict on women.