Monday, March 9, 2020

Maronna mia - Madonna Mia

Maronna mia Maronna mia
Se so' arrubato 'e sordë
Comme faccio comme 'a metto a nomme
So' state duje guaglioni
duje guaglioni muccusielli
S'hanno arrubbato 'e sordë e pure 'aniellö

Maronna mia Maronna mia
Era 'a primma mesata
Chi ce 'o dice
Chi ce ‘o dice 'a casa
Si ll'ancappo? Si ll'ancappo
Saje che succede
Nce faccio 'o mazzo tanto!

Maronna mia Maronna mia
Era chillu guaglione
Ueh! viene ccà, viene ccà,
nun fa' l'indiano
Che faje abbedè
che faje abbedè ca nun saje niente
Ce stava tutta chesta gente
Ma che succede,
chesta gente nun me vò aiutà'
E' gente 'e niente
E' gente 'e niente

© 1977 Pino Daniele

"Maronna mia" is a mostly two-chord bluesy/funky groove song. What to do in Naples when you're ripped off and everyone sees it happen and no one wants to help? Madonna mia!

Madonna mia, Madonna mia,
they stole my money,
how am I supposed to, how do I handle it?!
They were two kids,
two little brats,
they stole my money and also my ring.

Madonna mia, Madonna mia,
it was my first pay,
what do I say,
what do I say at home?
But if I catch them, if I catch them,
you know what happens?
I’ll bust his ass!

Madonna mia, Madonna mia,
it was that boy.
Hey! Come here, come here,
don’t make like an Indian!
What’re you doing, pretending,
what're you doing, pretending to know nothing of it?
There were all these people!
But what happens?
These people don’t want to help me.
These people are nothing.
These people are nothing.

English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser



Terra mia was released in 1977. The songs are in the local dialect of Naples and the music reflects a strong grounding in the centuries-old song tradition of the city - canzone napoletana - with an infusion of blues. The album was well received and several of its songs became mainstays in Pino Daniele's long career. Indeed, "Napule é" became a contemporary theme song of Naples; it's the only song on the album not arranged by Daniele himself. He said of the album that it "represents the birth of a new Neapolitan song, and also the social condemnations of a new generation that didn't accept compromises and that, through music, was able to express its own discontents." One of Daniele's ambitions at the time was to "write songs like Luigi Tenco."