|
Chi po' dicere ca sto' murenno Chi po' dicere ca so' cuntento Chi po' dicere ca sto' sbaglianno Parlanno male 'e tutte chisti anne Tantu tiempo ma nce penzo ancora Chella nun era 'a strada bona Chi me dice ammore Rispongo dulore Chi po' dicere dimane vengo E aspiette tutta 'na vita E t'accuorge ca nun aje capito E nun te po' cchiù passà Chi me dice umanità Rispongo ammore ammore ammore ammore Chi po' dicere © 1977 Pino Daniele |
Who can say that I’m dying? Who can say that I am content? Who can say that I’m erring, speaking ill of all these years? So much time, but I don’t think about it yet. That one wasn’t a good road. One who speaks to me of love, I answer with pain. Someone can say, "Tomorrow I will come," and you wait an entire lifetime and you realize you didn’t understand, and you don't get over it. One who speaks to me of humanity, I answer love love love love. English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser Terra mia was released in 1977. The songs are in the local dialect of Naples and the music reflects a strong grounding in the centuries-old song tradition of the city - canzone napoletana - with an infusion of blues. The album was well received and several of its songs became mainstays in Pino Daniele's long career. Indeed, "Napule é" became a contemporary theme song of Naples; it's the only song on the album not arranged by Daniele himself. He said of the album that it "represents the birth of a new Neapolitan song, and also the social condemnations of a new generation that didn't accept compromises and that, through music, was able to express its own discontents." One of Daniele's ambitions at the time was to "write songs like Luigi Tenco." |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.

