|
Uocchie ca' me guardate trasite dimane Tengo na' mana rotta e chell'ata 'nguaiata Stong zappanno 'a terra pe' mettere o' ggrano Uocchie ca' me guardate venite dimane Teng na' faccia nera bruciata do' sole passo 'e jurnate dint'a terra cu' a' ddora de' mmele aggiu tuccato 'o cielo guardanno 'a vita aggio mangiato l'uva e aggio visto a Dio Uocchie ca' me guardate trasite dimane Tengo na' mana rotta e chell'ata 'nguaiata Stong aspettanno 'a notte che 'abbrillano 'e stelle Stong aspettanno 'o juorno pe' mettere 'e scelle Uocchie ca' me guardate © 2015 Enzo Gragnaniello |
Eyes that watch me, enter tomorrow. I have one broken hand and that other one is messed up. I am tilling the earth to plant the grain. Eyes that watch me, come tomorrow. I have a black face, burned by the sun, I spend the days inside the land with the smell of apple. I have touched the sky, watching life, I have eaten the grape, and I have seen God. Eyes that watch me, enter tomorrow. I have one broken hand and that other one is messed up. I am waiting for nighttime, when the stars sparkle, I am waiting for daytime to put on my wings. English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser L'Erba Cattiva was released in 2015 and is Gragnaniello's 15th studio album. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
