|
Un fastidioso ronzio mi sveglia Sono due ali di seta sbocciate stanotte sulla mia schiena Faccio per muovere le gambe Le guardo sono tante Sono mille zampette che si muovono velocemente Intorno al mio corpo ovale Mi alzo dal letto Mi siedo davanti allo specchio Dove noto due antenne sulla testa Ed un pungiglione al posto del naso Mia madre entra nella stanza Ed io salgo sulle pareti Mi nascondo tra i fiori tappezzati Per non farmi vedere In questo stato animalesco La domestica apre la finestra Ed io volo Volo Volo Sono libero Volo nel deserto Volo nel deserto Ed ho sete, ed ho sete Acqua... acqua... Io lo voglio io dell'acqua Non c'รจ acqua nel deserto Acqua... Metamorfosi © 1974 Juri Camisasca |
An annoying buzz awakens me. Two silk wings have sprung up tonight on my back. I go to move my legs, I look at them, they are so many, a thousand little leglets that move quickly, around my oval body. I get up from the bed, I sit down in front of the mirror, where I note two antennae on my head and a stinger in place of my nose. My mother comes into the room and I go up on the walls. I hide myself among the wallpaper flowers to not show myself in this animal-like state. The maid opens the window and I fly. I fly, I fly, I am free. I fly in the desert, I fly in the desert. And I'm thirsty, and I'm thirsty, water . . . water . . . I want some water . . . there is no water in the desert . . . water . . . English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser La finestra dentro (The Window Within) was released in 1974 on the independent Bla Bla label, known for its progressive rock and avantgarde releases. Juri Camisasca met Franco Battiato during their military service, after which Battiato used Camisasca on a couple of projects and introduced him to the recording world. This album shows how the boundaries of traditional Italian pop music were being obliterated in pursuit of more personal, idiosyncratic, and non-commercial musical expressions. The songs themselves are in the singer/songwriter vein, but the lyrics are well outside the mainstream, and Camisasca's vocal experimentation and explorations take this album into another realm, with Camisasca expressing the existential discomfort that he felt in the years prior to his discovery of Christ and his becoming a Benedictine monk. The album was produced by Franco Battiato and Bla Bla's founder, Pino Massara. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
