|
Ho un grande vuoto nella mia testa I miei pensieri li ho messi Tutti in un bicchiere E poi li ho rovesciati Nel fiume delle illusioni Ed ora sto cercando Qualcosa che non so Ma forse sarà perché ho Paura di affrontare la realtà Una realtà che mi è sempre vicina Io la risposta la tengo stretta Nella mia mano Ed ora dovrò morire prima Per salvare l'anima Ho un grande vuoto nella testa © 1974 Juri Camisasca |
I have a great void in my head. My thoughts I put them all in a glass, and then I turned them upside down into the river of illusions. And now I am searching for something that I don’t know, but maybe it will be because I am afraid to confront reality, a reality that is always near to me. I hold the answer tight in my hand, and now I will have to die first to save my soul. English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser La finestra dentro (The Window Within) was released in 1974 on the independent Bla Bla label, known for its progressive rock and avantgarde releases. Juri Camisasca met Franco Battiato during their military service, after which Battiato used Camisasca on a couple of projects and introduced him to the recording world. This album shows how the boundaries of traditional Italian pop music were being obliterated in pursuit of more personal, idiosyncratic, and non-commercial musical expressions. The songs themselves are in the singer/songwriter vein, but the lyrics are well outside the mainstream, and Camisasca's vocal experimentation and explorations take this album into another realm, with Camisasca expressing the existential discomfort that he felt in the years prior to his discovery of Christ and his becoming a Benedictine monk. The album was produced by Franco Battiato and Bla Bla's founder, Pino Massara. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
