Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Piove - It's Raining

Mille violini suonati dal vento,
tutti i colori dell'arcobaleno
vanno a fermare la pioggia d'argento
ma piove, piove
sul nostro amor.

Ciao, ciao, bambina,
un bacio ancora e poi per sempre
ti perderò.
Come una fiaba l'amore passa,
c'èra una volta poi non c'è più.
Cos'è che trema sul tuo visino?
è pioggia o pianto,
dimmi cos'è?
Vorrei trovare parole nuove
ma piove, piove sul nostro amor.

(Ciao, bambina,
ti voglio bene da morire.
Ciaooooo.....ciaooooo)

Ciao, ciao, bambina.
non ti voltare non posso dirti
rimani ancor.
Vorrei trovare
parole nuove ma piove, piove
sul nostro amor.

"Piove" © 1959 Domenico Modugno and Dino Verde


"Piove" won the 1959 Sanremo Music Festival, making it two in a row for Modugno at Italy's most prestigious pop music song contest. Modugno wrote the first and last lines of the chorus while waiting for a train in Pittsburg, where he witnessed two young lovers bidding farewell to each other in the rain.

Thousands of violins played by the wind,
all the colors of the rainbow
go to stop the silver rain,
but it’s raining, it’s raining
on our love.

So long, so long, girl,
one more kiss and then forever
I will lose you.
Like a fable, love passes,
once upon a time, then no longer.
What is it that trembles on your face?
Is it rain or regret,
tell me what it is?
I would like to find new words
but it’s raining, it’s raining on our love.

(So long, girl,
I love you to death.
So long . . . so long.)

So long, so long, girl.
Don’t turn around I can’t tell you
stay a little longer.
I’d like to find
new words, but it’s raining, it’s raining
on our love.

English translation © 2023 Dennis Criteser

"Piove" was released as a single in January of 1959 on the Fonit label.