|
Erano giorni neri Non sentivo odio né amore Erano giorni neri Mi sentivo come morto Cercavo solo te E tu mi lasciavi solo Ora son giorni allegri Mi diverto e il tempo vola Ora son giorni allegri La quaresima è finita Viva la gioventù Che regala notti bianche Erano giorni magri Non avevo in tasca una lira Erano giorni magri Tu potevi darmi una mano Avevo solo te E tu non alzavi un dito Ora son giorni grassi Son finite le vacche magre Ora son giorni grassi Ho incontrato Maddalena Tu non esisti più Non ricordo più i tuoi occhi Erano giorni vuoti Canzoni senza parole Erano giorni tristi Piangevo come un bambino Amavo solo te E tu mi hai lasciato solo Ora son giorni pieni Ora c’è Maddalena Tu non esisti più Non ricordo più i tuoi occhi Evviva Maddalena Che regala notti bianche Ora son giorni grassi La quaresima è finita Tu non esisti più Sei andata sulla luna Ora c’è Maddalena Evviva la gioventù Evviva Maddalena Che regala notti bianche Evviva Maddalena Lalalalalala Lalalalalala Evviva Maddalena Maddalena © 1962 Sergio Endrigo |
They were black days, I felt neither hatred nor love. They were black days, I felt like death. I searched only for you, and you left me alone. Now they are happy days, I’m having fun and time flies. Now they are happy days, Lent is over. Long live youth, that offers sleepless nights. They were lean days, I didn’t have a lira in my pocket. They were lean days, you could give me a hand. I had only you and you didn’t lift a finger. Now they are fat days, the lean years are over. Now they are fat days, I met Magdalena. You no longer exist, I no longer remember your eyes. They were empty days, songs without words. They were sad days, I cried like a child. I loved only you and you left me alone. Now they are full days, now there is Magdalena. You exist no more, I no longer remember your eyes. And long live Magdalena, who offers sleepless nights. Now they are fat days, Lent is over. You exist no more, you went to the moon. Now there is Magdalena, and long live youth, and long live Magdalena, who offers sleepless nights. And long live Magdalena. Lalalalalala Lalalalalala And long live Magdalena. English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser Sergio Endrigo was Endrigo's first solo album, released in 1962. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
