|
La mia morosa la va a la fonte Con un sidelo de rame e argento Sì, ma quell’acqua che ghe va dentro L’è i miei languori d’amor per lei La mia morosa la se balansa E appena appena la muove l’anca Dentro al sidelo si forma un’onda Si forma un’onda che pare un mar... Si forma un’onda che pare un mare Dentro a quel mare mi vo a nodare Mi nodo si ma non so nodare Dentro a quel mare mi vo a negar... © 1968 Enzo Jannacci and Dario Fo "La mia morosa la va alla fonte" was, according to the album notes, based on a 16th-century piece of music that Dario Fo had discovered. In fact, Jannacci had written it. Fabrizio De André wrote "Via del Campo" using Jannacci's music, thinking it was in the public domain. The situation was cleared up and Jannacci became a co-writer of a De André classic! |
My sweetheart goes there to the fountain with a ladle of copper and silver. Yes, but that water that goes inside her is my languors of love for her. My love balances herself there, and just barely moves here ankle. Inside the ladle a wave forms, a wave forms that seems like a sea . . . A wave forms that seems like a sea, inside that sea I’d like to swim. I swim, yes, but I don’t know how to swim. Inside that sea I’d like to drown . . . English translation © 2020 Dennis Criteser Vengo anch'io. No, tu no is Jannacci's fourth album, released in 1968. This is the album that launched Jannacci into the top of the charts, leading to television appearances and participation in various festivals. In spite of the album's success, Jannacci spent the next four years establishing himself as a surgeon and cardiologist, with studies in South Africa and the United States - while he first studied music at the Milan Conservatory, he subsequently enrolled at and graduated from the College of Medicine and Surgery at the University of Milan in 1967. |
I began exploring Italian popular songs as part of learning Italian. Here are my translations for some of my favorite "canzoni" by Italian singers, songwriters, and bands whose work I admire. It's a work in progress that can serve as a curated introduction to Italian popular music, with an emphasis on the 1950s through the 1990s. If you speak Italian, send me a message if you see lyrics I've misunderstood.
