Friday, September 6, 2019

Polvere e diamanti - Dust and Diamonds

Come avranno fatto i folli di un tempo
Che a volte intravedevano la Triade Solare.
Senza fantasie per la testa
Vincendo la stanchezza imparavano a volare.
Sui pendii dei monti tra le nevi
Incontro a stelle giovani
Se ne andavano a invecchiare.
Nei deserti caldi senza freni
Oltre gli organi di senso
Trovavano il loro piacere.
Per cambiare non basta una vita.
Certe volte il vento mi sfiora.
Quante passioni mi scavano ancora.
Tra polvere e diamanti sempre cammineremo.

Sopra un dirigibile e su navi
Sorvolerò le isole
E me ne andrò per mari,
porterò con me soltanto una radio
che da sempre mi fa sognare
e sapere se posso tornare.
Ma non conto il passare degli anni,
guardo avanti e la fine non la vedo.
Calma e tristezza mi scavano ancora.
Tra polvere e diamanti sempre cammineremo.

Polvere e diamanti © 1999 Juri Camisasca



As had done the crowds of yore,
who sometimes glimpsed the Solar Triad,
without fantasies for the mind,
conquering tiredness, they learned to fly.
On the mountain slopes amid the snows
I encounter young stars,
they went away to grow old.
In the hot deserts, unfettered,
beyond the sensory organs,
they found their pleasure.
To change, one life is not enough.
Sometimes the wind touches me.
How many passions dig away at me still.
Amongst dust and diamonds we will always walk.

Over a dirigible and on ships
I will fly over the islands
and I’ll leave for the seas,
I’ll carry with me only a radio
that has forever made me dream
and know if I can return.
But I don’t count the passing of the years,
I look ahead and the end I do not see.
Calm and tiredness dig away at me still.
Amongst dust and diamonds we will always walk.

English translation © 2021 Dennis Criteser


Arcano enigma, released in 1999, was produced by Franco Battiato and has electro-pop sonorities that will be familiar to fans of '90s-era Battiato. The album has several songs with lyrics taken directly from St. Augustine's Confessions.